Keeping chickens cool in the summer?

Hi, do the chickens try to get up into the trees? I haven't free reanged mine yet, and was worried about getting them out of the trees in my yard.

Hi, I draped a tarp over the coop last week. It covers the small run and the hen house. I think it cuts down of the sun glare and beating hot rays. It increases the shade area also. If I see them getting overheated, I hose down their run. They don't like ice too much in their water.

Sounds like it is going to be about 97 in my neck of the woods today. I am going o try frozen milk jugs and frozen treat pops! Thanks for the advice everyone!

I put a bucket filled with ice water and pavers in it--At first they didnt want to get in there so i sprinkled oatmeal and they all took at turn or two

I let our flock free range. In hot weather they tend to spend most of the day(mostly the hottest part of the day) going from our pine trees to our large lilac bushes(we have them trimmed like an umbrella.) They go through or corn in the garden(which they don't bother any if our plants) where ever there's a nice breeze u'll find them. For their coop, dirt floor, two windows(one opens), the door to their yard(always open) then the main door(propped open) we have a fairly large yard. With farmed fields all around, a horse pasture on the right side. Our birds do go in the field, and pasture but never to far. If they go somewhere I don't want them to go, I just call them like a hen calls her chicks "tuk, tuk, tuk" and they come running. :)

Last edited:
I put my food scraps in a bowl and mix in some seeds/scratch and form it into a log and freeze it. I also freeze a container (cool whip) full of water to make an ice block and drop it into the waterer-I give them watermelon but did not think to freeze it-good idea!! I also love the fruit skewer...might give that a try! Love all these great ideas!!

Cute coop
Thanks!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom