Keeping chickens cool in the summer?

I live of the grid in the desert and have no water pressure to run misters but where it gets up in the triple digits frequently I have two water pools and hose down their large yard 2 to 3 times a day. They also have a giant elm tree that keeps their yard and most of the coop in the shade. I can let mine free range either.

Thanks, Primrose :) Good ideas. The coop does have a 1x1 foot window on the hidden side and the pop door stays open. There are also ventilation holes all around the roof line. I agree that it should have another window, and above the nesting boxes there is room for another one between framing boards. However, the girls stay outside during the day and I've asked my sweetie for so many modifications on the coop that I hesitate to ask for another right now :). The coop and run are usually in the shade. Since this picture we have added more opaque roofing over the transparent roofing above the run for shade and are now in the process of adding additional sun protection to the far side to keep the late afternoon sun from shining in. It seems that we get hotter all day until around 4:30 or 5:00 during the summer.

Hi, I'm new to chicken keeping and we are trying to make a waterer just like yours - you have done exactly what we are trying to do! I notice that you replaced the plastic petcock with a brass fitting that has a hose end. Could you please let me know the details of this fitting ? Also where it came from? The challenge we have met so far is putting a different petcock/valve/tap/faucet in place that doesn't leak around where it screws in to the water container. Any tips as to how you overcame that would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Hi, I'm new to chicken keeping and we are trying to make a waterer just like yours - you have done exactly what we are trying to do! I notice that you replaced the plastic petcock with a brass fitting that has a hose end. Could you please let me know the details of this fitting ? Also where it came from? The challenge we have met so far is putting a different petcock/valve/tap/faucet in place that doesn't leak around where it screws in to the water container. Any tips as to how you overcame that would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!
Having dealt with replacing many different brands of water cooler spigots due to the Boy Scouts using them monthly on camping trips I have noticed that the different brands have different diameters of the hole for the spigot. This particular cooler is a Rubbermaid brand 5 gallon and the hole is 7/8" diameter so I was able to sort of thread a 3/4" NPT brass hose bib into it that I got from Home Depot. I went with the quarter turn valve style so I don't need to twist it to open all the way, a short 1/4 turn does it. Before I threaded in the hose bib I sealed the edges of the hole in the cooler with aquarium grade silicone. I have been looking for a bib with longer threads to attach a flange nut on the inside but I never found one so after threading the bib in all the way to the cooler I sealed the inside with more silicone to be sure of no leakage. So far so good!

This is genius!!!
ya.gif
I keep frozen 2 ltr bottle of water in my back freezer. I am so doing this for my sweet girls in this Louisiana summer heat... Thnx for the tip

Hey rebecwi333
welcome-byc.gif
Glad to have you. Search for the La thread La-yer peeps Where are you from? I'm 20 miles East of Shreveport.

We do put a tub out for them filled with water (change it daily). Our bared rock (Flo) has learned to stand in it on hot days. She does this on a regular basis now. I even catch her nodding off in the tub of water as she gets relaxed in there. We call it her spa.

I did read someone who suggested keeping a pail of cool (not cold) water handy. If they are panting and their waddles are pink instead of red, or you think they are over heating, just pick them up and hold them in the cool water. I do this fairly regularly now as we are having days over 100. They resist until they feel the cool water and then they just seem to calm down. When they get out, they are not longer panting or holding their wings out.

Love this idea Dana.
welcome-byc.gif

We purchased a small window AC for the coop to keep them cool at night. My husband says, next thing we know they'll be ordering pizza delivery and a tv and won't come out of the coop. Love my chicks. We got it from Walmart for $100. Spent more than that on feed and housing for them.

Back
Top Bottom