Keeping Chickens Free Range

thats more-or-less what I did, that is, keep them penned up (I waited only about 8-9 weeks) and then let them roam. They always come back, with one exception; I've found her on the coop roof after dark, or under it, or nowhere to be found until I let them out in the morning, and she's just waiting by the gate). I do try too keep my Aussies away from them, but the only other daytime predator than dogs I'm aware of are Hawks and Eagles, but they've been very scarce this year. Haven't lost one yet.

Full disclosure, this is my first flock, too. The folks on this site have been more than helpful. Luck!!

I should also add, and this came straight from this site, that the first 4 times I let them out it was only an hour or less till dark and stayed with them the whole time. Even then they had no problem putting themselves "to bed".

Theres been some turkeys visiting my girls lately. 2 visited last weekend when i was in Maine, dad sent a picture. They were right next to the run visiting the girls. He says the girls werent real happy and went to the other side of the pen.

Then today one came out of the woods and was eating in some tall grass/overgrown brush between the woods and the run, didn't go near the pen though.

Funny birds lol

I'm new to having chickens as well. We got them at 5wk old and put them in their coop/run combo and were waiting until they learn the "bedtime routine" before letting them free range in our fenced yard.

The past 3 nights they finally learned how to return to coop from the run by themselves and go to bed! So we figure it's time to let them range for short, supervised times.

To our amusement, we opened the door expecting 3 curious chickens to come piling out but they were too scared! They have only come out about 3 feet away from the door to eat mealworms then they run/flutter back in. It is going to take a little bit of time for them to get their confidence I guess. But at least we know that they like their coop and run and it makes them feel like that is their safe zone to return to
smile.png

I'm new to having chickens as well. We got them at 5wk old and put them in their coop/run combo and were waiting until they learn the "bedtime routine" before letting them free range in our fenced yard.

The past 3 nights they finally learned how to return to coop from the run by themselves and go to bed! So we figure it's time to let them range for short, supervised times.

To our amusement, we opened the door expecting 3 curious chickens to come piling out but they were too scared! They have only come out about 3 feet away from the door to eat mealworms then they run/flutter back in. It is going to take a little bit of time for them to get their confidence I guess. But at least we know that they like their coop and run and it makes them feel like that is their safe zone to return to
smile.png
An important first safety lesson. Give them time. They'll be ranging with the best of them before long.

An important first safety lesson. Give them time. They'll be ranging with the best of them before long.

X2...

I went to open the doors on the brooder this morning. My brooder is larger than most peoples it has 5 doors on it. It is 40ft x 80 ft. I was just about to open the first door and I saw a coyote about 200 ft out. He saw me the same time I saw him. He kind of slinked off stopping to look at me several times. once he just stood and stared at me for about 3 minutes.

I debated going back to the house for a rifle, but knew he would be gone before I got back. Tomorrow morning there will be a rifle in the brooder and I will carry one with me as I go out there. I am thinking of going out at around 4am and waiting for him. I have a crippled chick I may use as bait (inside a live trap so the chick is safe. It makes a lot of noise and outside in the dark I bet it will make even more.

I wish to end this problem before it becomes a problem..

I had been predator free this year until today. I blame all of you for mentioning your problems and my being too smug about not having any.... Karma is getting me now.

I have moved my most valuable birds into the most secure runs. I just have too many to put them all in runs. Hopefully the yotes tombstone will have a ending date of 7-13-2016

I forgot to mention I have a turkey hen that has a hidden nest somewhere out where it came from. I am hoping it got the eggs and the hen lays elsewhere. Otherwise I will lose her. So it is imperative I get rid of the coyote!

Last edited:
Hi, chickens are definitely more docile at night. They shut right down. I am treating a big rooster for leg mites and I do all of his treatments at night. Wait until they roost and it is dark. Use a very small flashlight so you can see what you are doing. Shield the light with your body and go for it. Lift them carefully and hold them under your arm. You should be absolutely fine. PS, my rooster has 2 inch spurs and so far, not a scratch.

X2...

I went to open the doors on the brooder this morning. My brooder is larger than most peoples it has 5 doors on it. It is 40ft x 80 ft. I was just about to open the first door and I saw a coyote about 200 ft out. He saw me the same time I saw him. He kind of slinked off stopping to look at me several times. once he just stood and stared at me for about 3 minutes.

I debated going back to the house for a rifle, but knew he would be gone before I got back. Tomorrow morning there will be a rifle in the brooder and I will carry one with me as I go out there. I am thinking of going out at around 4am and waiting for him. I have a crippled chick I may use as bait (inside a live trap so the chick is safe. It makes a lot of noise and outside in the dark I bet it will make even more.

I wish to end this problem before it becomes a problem..

I had been predator free this year until today. I blame all of you for mentioning your problems and my being too smug about not having any.... Karma is getting me now.

I have moved my most valuable birds into the most secure runs. I just have too many to put them all in runs. Hopefully the yotes tombstone will have a ending date of 7-13-2016

I forgot to mention I have a turkey hen that has a hidden nest somewhere out where it came from. I am hoping it got the eggs and the hen lays elsewhere. Otherwise I will lose her. So it is imperative I get rid of the coyote!
Will it help if I tell you about my prowess with a shot gun yesterday??? Got a ground hog that has been taunting hubby and myself for about 10 days now. Threw my back out, and have a nice bruise on my shoulder, but the hog has taken his rightful place at the bottom of the next section of HK bed. Only fitting hat he should spend his eternity nurturing the crops he was seeking to destroy. Perhaps I could send some of my hunting skill your way?! May your bullet fly straight and hit it's mark before Wile even knows you are out there.

Last edited:
I have a new question. My 4 month old mixed breed flock has been free ranging for a few weeks now. I have to confess to not counting them every single night on the roosts, but when I did I came up two short. One was under the coop so I dragged him out, but after another three days I wrote off the second. Then one morning when I was checking my gigs I swore I heard a chicken, but came up empty handed after digging around the tall grass and blackberries. Two days later I saw the RIR darting through the hog pens to snag some corn and water. She escaped just ahead of the posse of pigs sent to bring her to porker justice. So here's the question.

The hogs are a good 500ft from the coop, and there's a hill cutting off the few from each other. None of the other chickens have ventured even half that distance. Will they? Will the escapee return on her own? And if I can manage to corner and catch the escapee will she re-acclimate to the coop and hanging with friends? Or is she a lost cause? Help! First flock (can u tell?)

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom