Keeping chickens in the state of Wisconsin

There is a similar requirement here in Maryland. No one ever does it though lol. I know it is for disease notification, but a lot of people worry their flocks will be unnecessarily culled in the case of a potential outbreak.

I can understand the hesitation. I do have to say though, that I had my NPIP inspection right after the avian flu outbreak got under control here in WI in 2015. My husband and I asked the inspector lots of questions about how they handled the situation. The inspector was seemingly very open and honest, and I was truly left with a very good impression that no unnecessary culls took place, and that everything was handled amiably and effeciently. Granted, I could be wrong.

I just thought the information might be useful, because I, personally, had no knowledge of the "livestock registry" or that I was required to submit my information until I inquired about becoming NPIP certified, so I was going on the assumption that others probably are also unaware.

I agree. Although I know some people don't register because of their hesitations, I would almost bet that most people don't register simply because they don't know it's a requirement. I sure don't see it posted at the feed stores or anything so unless you seek out the information or it is passed to you upon entering a situation such as yours, you are likely to never know the regulations exist.

I have just joined BYC and was glad to read about registering chickens in Wi. Our little village in Bloomfield is going through allowing chickens. Supposed to be on our ballot in April. I wonder if this will come up.

I had no trouble whatsoever! I'm zoned agricultural. But I'm sympathetic. Several of my customers have been at the forefront of getting ordinances passed in their areas, though. So I've gleaned lot's of info and tips from them.

Back
Top Bottom