Keeping Chickens When You Have Arthritis.

Pics
Tumeric is an amazing herb. Became familiar with it back when I was going through the Lyme treatment. It's a very popular natural occuring antibiotic and anti-inflammatory.

Yep, bodies in motion stay in motion. I got instructions to keep active. No problem there. Always something to do around our farm and in my spare time I'm embroidering quilt squares so my fingers are getting a daily workout.

What have y'all been told about jogging? I've read that running is what I think they call a concussion sport that helps bones fight osteoarthritis, but on the other hand I read that jogging is contraindicated in RA or the other inflammatory conditions. I love to run but I also have cycling I can fall back on and lots of beautiful fall days ahead to do it in.
I think walking is just as effective and not as hard on the knees. :) We walk 2-4 miles a day. I jogged for a bit a few years back, but I get more enjoyment out of walking and hiking.

C9A32402-8E15-441E-8DD7-790FB568F728.jpeg
I am so sorry.:hugsI do know how you feel.

Have you ever been tested for Lyme disease or have you any memory of ever being bitten by a tick? I was treated for Lyme back in 09/10 and the flu symptoms stick in my head. I was sick enough to die and wonder why I didn't. No joint pain but I did have nerve pain that was almost unbearable.

Whatever you have going on I hope the doctors can get to the bottom of it for you. Not knowing is half the battle.

Steroids have always helped me also. Tried to limit them to only 4 shots a year but I needed to quit that route. Steroids are just plain nasty as far as side effects. The Methotrexate isn't perfect for me. I am having side effects. Fatigue the day of my injection, loss of appetite and today I suddenly developed light sensitivity. Bright lights hurt my eyes. Unpleasant but as long as they don't worsen I think I can tough it out.
I was tested for Lyme, they say it is inflammatory arthritis, I guess we haven’t found the right combination of meds yet. Steroids helped the symptoms a lot but didn’t bring down the inflammation markers. CRP has been above 20 now for at least 9 mo. The methotrexate seems to add a layer of fatigue on top of my daily fatigue and flu like symptoms and makes me queezy with no appetite. I just drink lots of fluids. I don’t want to go back on steroids but I am struggling. Having trouble lifting coffee pot, pushing a shopping cart. My knees were the one joint not affected and now they are really stiff in am and occasional painful. I am just tired of being sick and tired

View attachment 1530251
I was tested for Lyme, they say it is inflammatory arthritis, I guess we haven’t found the right combination of meds yet. Steroids helped the symptoms a lot but didn’t bring down the inflammation markers. CRP has been above 20 now for at least 9 mo. The methotrexate seems to add a layer of fatigue on top of my daily fatigue and flu like symptoms and makes me queezy with no appetite. I just drink lots of fluids. I don’t want to go back on steroids but I am struggling. Having trouble lifting coffee pot, pushing a shopping cart. My knees were the one joint not affected and now they are really stiff in am and occasional painful. I am just tired of being sick and tired
When I was 23 I was diagnosed with Rheumatic Fever.That single diagnosis changed my life forever. I was one year out of nurses school, working as an OB nurse and getting ready to go back to school working towards a MA in nursing so I could become an instructor. I wanted to teach nursing very badly.

That all changed in an instant. When I tried to go back to work after spending one month in the hospital and 6 months in bed, I found myself working in a secondary cardiac care unit. One of the patients had a history of RF like mine and had been admitted with chest pains that turned out to be pneumonia instead of cardiac. We got talking and I asked her about her history with RF and was there any advice she could give me and she said. "You will never be the same again" I was stunned but looking back she was oh so right. That RF has set me up for the arthritis I am suffering from today.

No, I was never the same again. In some ways I am better but I remember the 22 year old nursing student who ran up mountain trails during spring break with limitless energy and flexible joints and don't recognize her as being me.

Please do not give up hope. You will get on top of this. You will get stronger. You won't be the same but in some ways you will be better, just like I am. I think of it as a death and rebirth. The new me is stubborn, even when exhausted, determined, even when my joints are killing me, and I always try to keep a smile on my face even when I feel like crying from not feeling well for so long.

:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

I just spent two hours mowing lawn. Could barely drag myself into the house and to the sofa. I'm just exhausted now but still have so much to get done. Right now I'm being good to myself and resting and recharging the old batteries.

Hang in there everybody.

I seen my Rheumy today. She thinks after 10 weeks of methotrexate, it is not working. The past three weeks have been the worst! ( poor chicken babies get food water and eggs collected) haven’t spent any time with the chickens or in my garden! Just feel too sick! She is putting me back on prednisone temporarily and ordering Embrel. Will take about a week to know if it will be covered by insurance. Anyone else take Embrel?? The risks sound scary, but are about the same as methotrexate. I so hope it gives me even a portion of my life back! I told my primary if it doesn’t work, I may just give up, get in bed and wait to die.

@Kfults, I am so sorry you are going through this and having such a hard time.

I agree with Penny. Steroids give me relief also but they are just so bad for your body long term. Weight gain, bone thinning/osteoporosis, vision problems, organ damage to name a few of the adverse things that can happen to you.

Please make an appointment with your vision care provide as soon as you feel up to it and get your eyes checked. My husband is checking mine today. Of course I have the luxury and honor to be married to my vision care provider 'Doctor Honey'. But still you want to make sure there are no long term problems caused by your medicines.

I know how tired and frustrated you are. Pain and the physical manifestations of just not feeling well from the inflamadrags you down physically and mentally. But please don't give up. I saw my PCP yesterday. He told me that while they couldn't do anything to really help/cure the Osteoarthritis, they could help me feel better where the RA is concerned. He looked at my right hand and his reaction was 'whow, that finger looks bad' but I am not going to let this beat me and I don't want it to beat you. Hopefully the Pred will kick in and you will be feeling better and the insurance will approve the EMBEL for you and it will help make you feel better.

I'm keeping you in my prayers. If you ever just need to 'talk' you can PM me any time or post here on the arthritis thread. But let us know how you are doing and please remember that you aren not in this alone.

I seen my Rheumy today. She thinks after 10 weeks of methotrexate, it is not working. The past three weeks have been the worst! ( poor chicken babies get food water and eggs collected) haven’t spent any time with the chickens or in my garden! Just feel too sick! She is putting me back on prednisone temporarily and ordering Embrel. Will take about a week to know if it will be covered by insurance. Anyone else take Embrel?? The risks sound scary, but are about the same as methotrexate. I so hope it gives me even a portion of my life back! I told my primary if it doesn’t work, I may just give up, get in bed and wait to die.
I hope it works for you!

Back
Top Bottom