Keeping chicks calm

knhundley

In the Brooder
May 21, 2015
Maryland
So my chicks are 2 weeks old now and we are just starting to get thunderstorms this week. I didn't check on them tonight during the thunder because it wasn't too bad and they're pretty good with loud(ish) noises that aren't right next to the brooder. I was just wondering how to keep them calm if they start freaking out during a storm since they're so little.

I also have chicks that are two weeks old today. I put a radio in the room they are in and play one of my spa CDs. They seem to like it and I think it calms them :)

Generally, noise is irrelevant to chickens. I have baby chicks that turned three weeks today. As they were turning two weeks old, they experienced a sudden hail storm for the first time. The run is covered in fiberglass panels so the noise was deafening. It startled them, and they were visibly upset for about one minute, then they went back to doing whatever they were doing when the hail began.

Yesterday, another sudden storm hit while I was in the run with them. This time they registered no discomfort over the noise at all.

Back
Top Bottom