Keeping cool on 100 degree day - ha ha ha

tedabug

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Pacific Northwest
It was a lung-sucking 100 degrees in Oregon today. My girls were looking so overheated, I decided to put them in the cool garage in their old chick brooder. MY HOW THEY'VE GROWN! ha ha ha I must say, I've heard nary a peep, they are so happy to be comfortable.

56181_img_8602.jpg

56181_img_9024.jpg

Goodness, you had me going there for a second! I thought "they don't look so big", then I scrolled down. LOL.

I brought my babies in the house the other day. They were cramped in the box they had started out in, but I think they preferred 80 to 102. When they finally bunched up in the corner trying to puppy-pile, I checked the thermometer on the Sun Porch and it was below 100 and outside was even cooler (only a couple of degrees, but whatever). I let them run around in the grass for about an hour prior to bedtime. I think I'd also prefer 95 in the grass to 100+ in the porch.

Yeah, I'm in Oregon too, it's 99 degrees out at almost 5:30 p.m. My poor month-old-chicks were panting! I put a lawn sprinkler nearby and it's been running all day, just close enough to the coop to cool the air around them without getting it all wet. Bad for my water bill, better for my chicks!

Back
Top Bottom