Keeping Cows / buffaloes with Poultrty

Farmer31

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 6, 2011
Right now i have few cows / buffs with some poultry .
People are saying it will create mite problem . Is it so ?
For reference see my picture

28gunmd.jpg

We have a herd of cows on our farm, ranging in numbers from maybe 30 to a max. of about 200. The cows don't belong to us, we lease our pastures to a neighbor. The cows share the same grazing areas as my chickens. In 4 years I've had one hen with mites, ONE. She more than likely picked them up from the wild birds that also share the same grazing areas.

we dont have pasture. It is intensive feeding model ... And what are recommendation

I would worry about a worm infestation more than mites with the small space and bare dirt.

Sorry but in no time at all your going to have more problems then mites. No pun intended but you animals are to crowded, I do not see sufficient food or water, just bare ground and animals. You need to pasture your cows and goats if you can. if your goats must be confined keep hay and food off the ground.

This is one area , we have an equal shaded area and one similar open one. And we buy fodder on daily basis from farmers nearby. No Grazing

Quote:

I'm going to guess this is not in the US, so some of us might be bringing assumptions that don't apply. Where are you, if you don't mind sharing?

I think the chickens will be a benefit, they'll scratch at the manure and eat some bugs. (I assume you have to pick up the manure daily -- the pen looks clean. Do you compost it?)

-Wendy

Back
Top Bottom