Keeping duckling bedding dry

gig.gif
Dry duck bedding! That's a good one!
lau.gif

Make a frame of size you need out of 2 x 4s, nail 1/2 x 1/2 mesh poultry netting to it. Make out of plywood a water pan to fit 'snugly' under the water cage you just made. Put 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 boards all around this 'water pan. paint er up real good; caulk the seams real good; set er up.

into this put either

Nothing, just let water and poop flow in; or better,

aluminum foil pans or such like fill each with clumping kitty litter, but preferbly WOOD PELLETS as for a pellet stove (these should also be mixed thoroughly in the bedding.

Make sure--google on pellet brand if you need to--that the pellet stove pellets you use do not have chemical 'starter' in them.

AND YOU'RE OFF. Works great for me.

Still they're messy, but this works well, the pellets are unbelievably water absorbent.

You can make your own variations on this theme/improvements as you need for your situation.

For example, it would be easier if the wire on top of 'water cage' were NOT nailed on but just held down with a series of turn buttons.

Make sure wire, though is taped so babies don't cut their sweet rubber feet.

Make a little ramp with a towel--at first--then bedding later, so you babies can climb up onto the cage to get the water.

They can do this easily if you do it right--and it's a no-brainer to do. You can remove the towel in a couple days and they can easily make the step.

Also it is a MYTH that feed must be right next to water. You can very safely keep it a couple feet or whatever away from splashing water.

Blessings to you, dear friend

fr. john marie
real live monk

I put my water up on a brick and that solved LOTS of mess issues. Once they go outside it's a lot easier. I used newspaper and paper towels just for convenience. I know they say don't use newspaper, but it's really for such a short time. Easy to clean up! Good luck!

I have a 1?2 acre pond, a Koi pond and chickens so I got 4 ducklings> After a week I couldn't take the constant cleanup in the spare room (or the smell) , I had them in a large Tupperware container with straw, I even had the waterer in a pan, it really didn't help. I was cleaning it out twice a day.

To solve the problem, we used 2 Tupperware bins, (one large the other smaller) cut a hole in each and attached them with a cut off plastic bucket. One for bedding, one for the water and food ( this one is on a slope). I used a plastic shoe box for the water and put river rock in it at the FAR end of the Water Station. The bedding stays dry and the wet box is easily cleaned. I have pics of how I did it...to be loaded later. It cost $15.00 and an hour to build saving me a LOT of trouble and has kept my water babies clean, dry and happy.I still have to replace the water several times a day and clean the wet box every other day, but it's much easier.

I may never get ducklings again but you know what they say, never say never. If I do, the Duck Brooder 9000 is easily stored in the shed after a good cleaning.

I have a question for you. At about what age can my ducks go outside in their brooder? It get's pretty dang hot out in the midwest around this time of year.

Back
Top Bottom