Keeping Fish

I can still worry right?;-P You all basically gave the same, good advice which I took. I had to decide between moving Orlando and leaving him be; I chose to put him in a container with fresh water and added a few tiny crystals of Epsom salt. I'm concerned that I might have added too little so that it wouldn't help him, or that I might have added too much and he's going to die. But my family and I are out for dinner so I should worry more about what I'll eat... my fingers will remain crossed for my baby boy

I can still worry right?;-P You all basically gave the same, good advice which I took. I had to decide between moving Orlando and leaving him be; I chose to put him in a container with fresh water and added a few tiny crystals of Epsom salt. I'm concerned that I might have added too little so that it wouldn't help him, or that I might have added too much and he's going to die. But my family and I are out for dinner so I should worry more about what I'll eat... my fingers will remain crossed for my baby boy

Of course you can worry! :) They are your fish, and you love them. You are being a vey kind and compassionate person. There isn't much left you can do for your betta, so enjoy yourself at dinner. And remember not to be on your phone at the table... ;)

Regards,
Leaf

If you look those cheap feeder goldfish over very carefully you can get some really nice goldfish cheap.

Feeder guppies are nice too.

The above post is good advice. Don't worry the fish to death!!!!!!

Oh, I picked out some dandies, though the girl catching them seemed pretty miffed about me being so selective. I actually got "they're just feeder fish". Whatever, I'm paying for them, I want what I want and they were intended to serve another purpose if they survived in the tank. They did survive, and now they're outside in my livestock tank with the hope that they'll eat down some of the algae that grows in there. If they don't help with the algae, I'll move them again. I still have a 55 gallon thats just sitting around taking up space in my shed. My husbands also in the process of digging out a pretty good sized pond as well, so...i have some options for them :)

Of course you can worry! :) They are your fish, and you love them. You are being a vey kind and compassionate person. There isn't much left you can do for your betta, so enjoy yourself at dinner. And remember not to be on your phone at the table... ;)

Regards,
Leaf

Agreed, of course you can still worry! I've worried myself sick over some of my fish. But, I've also felt absolutely horrible for stressing them to death with all of my meddling :/ I've had to learn the hard way that with fish keeping, sometimes less is more.

Last edited:
Oh, I picked out some dandies, though the girl catching them seemed pretty miffed about me being so selective. I actually got "they're just feeder fish". Whatever, I'm paying for them, I want what I want and they were intended to serve another purpose if they survived in the tank. They did survive, and now they're outside in my livestock tank with the hope that they'll eat down some of the algae that grows in there. If they don't help with the algae, I'll move them again. I still have a 55 gallon thats just sitting around taking up space in my shed. My husbands also in the process of digging out a pretty good sized pond as well, so...i have some options for them :)
I have to buy feeder minnows for my turtles, large fish, and garter snake, and I always seem to get this flack. They're going to die anyway, why do you care if we bag them all in this one tiny bag? Because they are alive, and just because they are going to be dead soon doesn't mean that their remaining time should be in humane. We are going to die someday, so should we be abused? I dont think so.

Agreed, of course you can still worry! I've worried myself sick over some of my fish. But, I've also felt absolutely horrible for stressing them to death with all of my meddling :/ I've had to learn the hard way that with fish keeping, sometimes less is more.

x100! Less IS more. Nature will take its course. Good luck!

Regards,
Leaf

I have about thirty goldfish I got for fifteen cents at the local fish store. They were quite small, about an inch or so long. Now many are almost a foot long, and are often mistaken for koi. With room to live their lives, these fish can get very large and live much longer than most would think.

Regards,
Leaf

Bettas get SBD from constipation because their stomach presses on their swim bladder or something like that. Constipation is usually brought on by freeze dried foods and cold water. SBD in bettas can also be caused by bacteria, parasites, etc. Going home now so hopefully Orlando is still hanging on. Sorry, was I the double poster? My phone gives me problems with this website so I usually use my laptop.

Bettas get SBD from constipation because their stomach presses on their swim bladder or something like that. Constipation is usually brought on by freeze dried foods and cold water. SBD in bettas can also be caused by bacteria, parasites, etc. Going home now so hopefully Orlando is still hanging on. Sorry, was I the double poster? My phone gives me problems with this website so I usually use my laptop.

I see, I've never had Bettas before, so I was just taking a stab at it based on my other fish. I hope your boy is better! And no, it was my double post. ;)

Regards,
Leaf

Back
Top Bottom