Keeping Fish

Oh, and did I mention that you can EAT peacock eels? Not advising to, but they freeze and package them in some places... But I'd never eat a pet store fish, they are almost always riddled with disease, old, and definitely unfit for any sort of consumption, especially human.

Tank check:
We haven't lost any more fish, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that our fungal infection has run its course and will soon be obliterated completely with treatment, water changes, and a good amount of fish for their space. We are replanting our garden soon for fall, we are adding potatoes, dinosaur kale, sugar snap peas, carrots, garlic, lettuce, arugula, broccoli, and cauliflower, etc. I hope we will get a good harvest this year and gain plenty of food for ourselves, friends, and families.

Our betta has some issue, but he seems to be growing his fins back.
I hate the fungal ick things. Water temperature has a lot to do with it.
What temp is your tank?
80 -82 degrees will help.

We keep our hobby tank at 80 degrees Fahrenheit most of the time. All of our fish are acclimated to the temperature, so it works out since we keep almost solely warm temp tropical fish in that tank. Our goldfish and koi pond is about 65-70 degrees Fahrenheit most of the time, except when we heat it up in the winter, when it usually stays warmer for our tropical turtles. What happened to your betta?

Oh, and did I mention that you can EAT peacock eels? Not advising to, but they freeze and package them in some places... But I'd never eat a pet store fish, they are almost always riddled with disease, old, and definitely unfit for any sort of consumption, especially human.

I have five small ponds. Three of them are plastic pools and two are cinder block. I have goldfish, Koi, bluegill, red ear sunfish, channel catfish. and several different minnows.

Please don't expect me to give you a count on anything...but...I bought 350 channel catfish fingerlings, 100 red ear fingerlings, and 100 native bluegill fingerlings early this year and I have been putting in fish caught in the wild on top of that. I also have a few Koi and about a million goldfish that have been producing for several years now. I am in the process of sorting the goldfish out because I want to breed more Sarrassa Comets and a solid black Comet.

I plan to eat the channel catfish and the bream. The catfish are almost ready.

All my fish are outside year round. I also have native bog plants and a few water Lilly gathered from the local river.

I don't think I would like an eel but catfish and bream suit me fine.

Sounds fun! I hope to raise fish for food when I get the time and space for big predatory fish. How do you breed your goldfish? Don't the fish eat the eggs? I haven't bred my goldfish yet, they haven't done anything on their own. I have way too many in my smallish koi pond and some need to go, but they are such beautiful big fish now that I'd hate to cull them or give them away as feeders, nor do I have enough space for them. I suppose I'll just wait until someone I know is capable of taking care of my fish properly comes over and asks if they are for sale...long shot I know, but many people I know closely love and have animals as pets and/or livestock, so hopefully I'll get some takers when I'm ready to give them up. Does anybody have a garden?

The Betta we got as a baby, and it really started to grow fast. It had lovely fins and then they started with the white fuzzies.
All of the bettas last about a year and then die, but I am used to annual fish so .. ehh, but I figured with adult bettas you never know how old they are, so if we got a baby them we would have it longer.
I think there is something systemic in the tank. But, since they are growing out again, maybe we have under control,

I love having a betta in a community tank as long as there are no aggressive fish in it. The betta is the top dog.

You can't keep a betta in a community tank, they kill other fish, or at least that's my understanding. My fish are pets and breeders but the rosy minnows can be used as baitfish, as can tell misquito fish. Technically you could use guppies as well, but mine are specially bred for showing, selling, and breeding purposes.

You can't keep a betta in a community tank, they kill other fish, or at least that's my understanding. My fish are pets and breeders but the rosy minnows can be used as baitfish, as can tell misquito fish. Technically you could use guppies as well, but mine are specially bred for showing, selling, and breeding purposes.

You can usually keep a betta in a community tank IF the other fish are not aggressive. The betta is usually the one at risk of getting attacked or having its fins nipped. They are just too darn slow compared to other species! I had a betta for many years in a tank with cory cats and platys.

Sounds fun! I hope to raise fish for food when I get the time and space for big predatory fish. How do you breed your goldfish? Don't the fish eat the eggs? I haven't bred my goldfish yet, they haven't done anything on their own. I have way too many in my smallish koi pond and some need to go, but they are such beautiful big fish now that I'd hate to cull them or give them away as feeders, nor do I have enough space for them. I suppose I'll just wait until someone I know is capable of taking care of my fish properly comes over and asks if they are for sale...long shot I know, but many people I know closely love and have animals as pets and/or livestock, so hopefully I'll get some takers when I'm ready to give them up. Does anybody have a garden?

My goldfish breed on their own. I do nothing to help them along except put a few plants in the pond. Every spring I gather cattails and let them grow in the ponds until they take up too much space and then I throw them over the pig pen fence and let the pigs eat them. The goldfish lay the eggs in the roots...I guess. The goldfish usually breed a couple of times a year at least. Every couple of months during the spring and summer I see little ones swimming around. I don't know if other fish eat the eggs or not. I just know I keep getting more goldfish. One thing I learned long ago. Don't worry your fish to death! I just let them go. I think the natural change in temps. trigger the breeding.

I have a garden and right now I have onions, kale, broccoli, Swiss chard, and carrots. I also start my own plants from cuttings and seed. In the spring I sell plants. I have creeping phlox, crepe myrtle, roses, cardinal flower, hibiscus, figs, and butterfly weed started right now. I also have some bog plants. I have Arrowhead, Lizard tail, water Lilly, flag iris, and some others I have yet to find the names. The bog plants I just gather as I see them in wetlands and at the river.

I also have goats, pigs, chickens, and pheasant.

Oh, I forgot the iris, day lilies, and strawberries.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom