Keeping Fish

How is everyone? Have you taken care of your planaria problem Shelly? Picked up a few Goldies for the koi pond yesterday and some more breeders. Looking forward to breeding for larger tails on my gups and getting some nice mollies. I'm starting a new lyretail line and started off with a couple of new Dalmatians as well.

Regards,
Leaf

My bettas are doing fine, they'll have to wait a while with the worms though. The pet store is far and we only go there occasionally. Since the worms won't hurt the fish, I'll assume that they'll be okay in the meantime.

My bettas are doing fine, they'll have to wait a while with the worms though. The pet store is far and we only go there occasionally. Since the worms won't hurt the fish, I'll assume that they'll be okay in the meantime.

I don't think you need anything from the store. Just clean the tank and reduce the food amount you are feeding.

Regards,
Leaf

Or your herons

Heron is gone. I have the pond netted, so there would have been a disturbance in the netting and rocks holding it down if the heron had attacked. I'm thinking it's the turtles because I haven't stocked up on my Rosies lately, so they haven't had any fish to eat, though I've been giving pellets regularly. Who knows? These were much rounder fish as well, so perhaps they weren't as fast as the others. Strange thing is that one of them was just a normal goldie, not bigger or slower. He's gone too.

Regards,
Leaf

Heron is gone. I have the pond netted, so there would have been a disturbance in the netting and rocks holding it down if the heron had attacked. I'm thinking it's the turtles because I haven't stocked up on my Rosies lately, so they haven't had any fish to eat, though I've been giving pellets regularly. Who knows? These were much rounder fish as well, so perhaps they weren't as fast as the others. Strange thing is that one of them was just a normal goldie, not bigger or slower. He's gone too.

Regards,
Leaf
Could be your turtles, I don't know what type of turtles you have but I've seen one of my 9+ inch goldfish in my pond getting harassed by painted turtles not even half the size. I netted the fish and it had ripped up tail and fins and had wounds on his body, he would've died if I didn't save him, he probably did die after I put him back. How big is the pond? Could a snapping turtle have gotten in there? Those will strike at fish at most any size.

Last edited:
It's a shot in the dark but it could also be a mink, but probably not if you don't live near woods with creeks and ponds/lakes

Last edited:
It's a shot in the dark but it could also be a mink, but probably not if you don't live near woods with creeks and ponds/lakes

If couldn't have been a mink or snapper. It's a very small pond and it currently has netting over it. It had to be something in the pond. Thinking turtles because only the few new fish are gone. :/ Anyway, welcome to the thread!

Regards,
Leaf

I received my new female betta today, her name is Indigo even though she's cambodian:p She's doing well with Cleo, but Jane Doe was being a bully. She does well with Monroe though. Please don't think it's a bad idea; neither are interested in spawning, and they ignore one another. I'll separate them when I'm not there to supervise, and it's only until I can get one or two more females and hides. They are doing great together, the same goes for Indigo and Cleo(for now). As soon as I see any harassment, nipped fins or stressed fish I will take action.

Back
Top Bottom