keeping growth data on your meat birds / chart p. 2

KatyTheChickenLady

Bird of A Different Feather
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
Boise, Idaho
I am working on developing "my own" meat bird and keeping weekly records of weight and feed consumption.

I am HOPING that some of you would not mind keeping growth records of your meat birds (especially cornishx), so that I had something to compare to. . . . anyone up for it?

Last edited:
this is what I am looking for;
Breed -
egg weight -
hatch weight (dry)-
1 week weight -
2 week weight -
3 week weight -
etc. until butcher

I understand if you don't have everything, but anything will help. I'm just looking for something to measure my birds against. I especially would like to see some cornish cross records but other meat birds would be interesting too.

THANK YOU!!!

Thank you... I'm really working hard on the new one, which I believe is 10 times better. I can't wait to get it live.

Anyhow, I don't have egg weight but I believe that would be pretty standard.

1) .34
2) .85
3) 1.45
4) 2.25
5) 3.20
6) 4.29
7) 5.25

Process as soon as they hit 5 lbs to get a dressed weight of 3.5 - 4 lbs. However it doesn't always work so perfectly, those are my best numbers it's not always so good.

Feed is below

1).32
2).66
3)1.09
4)1.52
5)2.02
6)2.38
7)5.61

Total : 13.60 (these numbers are early spring with very little forage) I'm going to try and see how I do in prime season to see exactly how much I save.

SO that would be 3.4 lbs of feed for every pound of dressed weight. Live weight would be 2.59 lbs of feed for every lb of live weight which is high but it's not bad.

Good luck and can't wait to see your results. I would love to share more during the season.

my goal is to develop (as a hobby, for my own personal consumption) a breed that is unique to my farm.

1. that is capable of reaching breeding age
2. that breeds true
3. that reaches butcher size around 15 weeks
4. that is a hardy and capable forager
5. that meet butcher goals fed only free range and whole grain
6. slower growing and more sustainable than cornish cross
7. faster growth than other "meat" breeds.
8. that can be raised sucessfully here in the West/northwest with no vacines or antibodies

your input and comments are welcome.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Katy just out of curiosity, what do you consider to be big enough to be "butcher size around 15 weeks"? 5 lb? 6?

Also I don't know if you've already started with the black copper marans but there is a much larger gene pool for the cuckoo marans in the US right now and they have the same marans taste (marans people seem to be fixated on the BCMs, but the cuckoos are great birds).

Also with the brahmas: I have a couple brahmas right now and based on the size of the chicks (HUGE) I thought dayyyyum these will make good eating....but based on everything I've read and how mine are growing it seems like they're big but very very slow to mature. They grow bones first and then put on meat later. They're not the best choice for a meat chicken, alas. (it really is too bad, they're so mellow and pretty and HUGE did I mention HUGE).

But I'm definitely curious to see how your experiment goes, please keep us posted.

My goal is 6 lbs live weight at 15 weeks.

I have two full grown cornish cross hens; I wanted to grab some of the meat genes but add in a little more sustainability.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom