Keeping her hydrated while roosting, and ideas?

Mikah

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 9, 2012
I have one hen that is roosting. And of course, she wont move. What are some ways to keep her drinking? Is there a very small waterer that I can put in her coop? I tried to use a small one i have...no luck. It just gets covered in pine shavings. I would love to hear any ideas!

I'm confused on that one. Does she roost (on the roost) all day and all night without moving? Or is she in a nesting box and won't move? If she is in a nesting box then she is broody. Can you please provide more information?

Thanks

If she is broody she will get off the nest all by herself and go eat, drink, and have her broody poo once a day, maybe twice. You usually won't see her do this, from my experience.

If she is locked away in a hutch by herself, put the waterer up on some bricks or cinder block to keep the shavings out. Same with the feeder.

Yes, she is in the main nesting box. Which my other chickens disapprove of. And she is the one that gets picked on the most. She hasn't moved for almost two weeks now. But she does seem much happier since I gave her some eggs to sit on 5 days ago. She even made a funny cooing sound when I put them in her spot. Almost like a dove. Then she quickly tucked all of them under her belly.
This is my first time trying to hatch eggs. I am really doing it for fun. My kids love it. And now that my two,100lb Rottweilers are OK with the chickens too, there is more of a peace in the house. It only took 8 months! But I would really appreciate any pointers to help produce a better outcome. My daughters would go crazy if we could hatch just one. Thanks

Yes, she is in the main nesting box. Which my other chickens disapprove of. And she is the one that gets picked on the most. She hasn't moved for almost two weeks now. But she does seem much happier since I gave her some eggs to sit on 5 days ago. She even made a funny cooing sound when I put them in her spot. Almost like a dove. Then she quickly tucked all of them under her belly.
This is my first time trying to hatch eggs. I am really doing it for fun. My kids love it. And now that my two,100lb Rottweilers are OK with the chickens too, there is more of a peace in the house. It only took 8 months! But I would really appreciate any pointers to help produce a better outcome. My daughters would go crazy if we could hatch just one. Thanks

Awwwwwwwwww, that is so sweet. Glad to hear that you have a broody hen. Just make sure that she has food and water close by and that she can stretch her legs. Good luck with the hatching.

I always like to put my broody girls in their own little area (away from everyone else), so that they can have peace and quiet and not be shoved out of their nest. It makes it so much easier and I think they have a better broody experience. If you have somewhere else to put her so she won't get picked on, I would suggest that. And if you move her, then move her at night.

Keep us posted on the outcome.

Back
Top Bottom