Keeping Hunting Dog out of chickens

CluckOut

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
I'm a new chicken owner and we just put the chicks out in thier coop today. And as I expected my Dachshund will stop at nothing to get to the chickens. We went to the store and got a shock collar to try that. Total bust! It didn't even make him pause! It was set on the highest level it could go. Instead of leaving them alone he threw himself against the wire and began to bite at it. So now he's inside...
My question is how in earth do you keep a highly motivated hunting dog out of your coop? I fear I may have to chain him all day long, which isn't fair to my dog.
Thanks to all who answer!

Sounds like you collar isn't fitted properly. It needs to be tight. I fit it high on the side of the neck, so it sits on either side of the SCM muscle and sometimes even wet down that part of the neck to ensure conductivity.

I'll try to wet it down and we fitted correctly but it's in the breed to stop at nothing to kill. So i'm thinking i'll have to try something else.

Maybe try a citronella collar instead? also maybe reinforce the coop with 1/2 inch hardware cloth.

Last edited:
I built a Fort Knox coop and run covered with 1/2" hardware cloth, with a 2' wire apron on the ground all the way around the coop and run.

You may have to build a kennel in the yard to keep the dog contained when you are not in the yard with him.

I had a pair of feist dogs like that. Not a rolled up news paper, a switch, a riding crop, a flushing whip, or even a cattle prod would stop or even slow these dogs down when chicken killing was concerned. In fact they seemed to think that I was punishing them for not killing chickens fast enough to suit me and every time they redoubled their efforts in that department.

The real problem will come when someone leaves an exterior door half closed or poorly guarded and the sausage dog makes a fast break for the chickens' pen to fulfill his life's ambition. He thinks that chicken tastes like badger.
lol.png

Wet the ground down good all way around the coop. Wet dog good with salty water. Hold off on the shock control remote until dog makes contact with chicken, then stand on the shock button. Put the collor on pooch a day in advance and don't let him see or hear anything out of you while your training him. A real hard head dog needs to put the chicken and the shock together not you and the shock or you and the chicken.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom