Keeping Multiple Toms

lbfdap21

Songster
Dec 1, 2021
Hi gang!

Our turkeys are just over a month old now and so far I’ve counted 14 out of 18 that are strutting, which I’m assuming means they are most likely toms.

Most will be processed later this year, but until then, can I keep all of the toms in the same run if I house the hens separately?

Hi gang!

Our turkeys are just over a month old now and so far I’ve counted 14 out of 18 that are strutting, which I’m assuming means they are most likely toms.

Most will be processed later this year, but until then, can I keep all of the toms in the same run if I house the hens separately?
Watch their behavior. They most likely won't need to be separated until next spring.

Watch their behavior. They most likely won't need to be separated until next spring.
Oh, awesome. We've had a little figuring out the pecking order behavior so far, but that's it. I'll keep an eye out though.

Any specifics on keeping a bachelor flock? Do the hens need to be out of sight/a certain distance away/etc?

Oh, awesome. We've had a little figuring out the pecking order behavior so far, but that's it. I'll keep an eye out though.

Any specifics on keeping a bachelor flock? Do the hens need to be out of sight/a certain distance away/etc?
They should be fine together until spring breeding seasons starts to come in as @R2elk has stated. So before breeding season you will want to separate hens and one tom if you want to breed them. All the other toms can be kept together, the more space (large run, free range) the better. Out of sight of hens will help with a lot less fighting.

Out of sight and as far away as you can get them out of earshot.

Back
Top Bottom