Keeping my Chickens Warm on Chill Nights

thotchkiss60

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
Hello all!

I live in Phoenix and thankfully we have pretty mild winters, but the next couple of night will be getting down in the low 30's. I know the chickens will be fine.

I wanted to ask if I should help the door to their house closed for the night to avoid drafts, or should I just leave it open? Usually when I close it at night, I open it first thing when I wake up in the morning. Will that help the chickens stay warm at night or should I not even bother? I close all the other windows at night, so their coop door is the only thing that is open. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Tim

I'm thinking that low 30's are not very cold to a chicken. I wouldn't change your routine for that.

Imp

Mine lived through -20 last night here in Colorado, but then they are more adjusted to cold...if it makes you feel better, place a curtain made of a scrap of material over the door, it will keep the drafts down.
Your chickens will do great either way...wish it were 30* here!

I close the pop door at night to keep my chickens safe from predators in case one should manage to get inside the run.

I also keep my doors closed at night...here in WV the temps get very cold....the chickens get use to the temps but I also keep a heat lamp in one corner of my coop...that way I never have to worry about it getting to cold and the chickens then have the option of going to the lamp or not...Chickens are very rezealent to the temps....

Mine are currently enjoying a baumy 20 degrees, and that's not even the low. They don't have a heated coop either. Just a draft free coop with plenty of warm bedding, warm water and some dried corn at night, maybe some warm breakfast if they're good girls.
wink.png

At night's keep the chickens house door closed incase a fox gets into there and the drafts gets into there so keep it closed and that will keep them warm on nights. Putting them in at night and getting them out early in the morning will not make a change so just carry on doing it because then the chickens will think that you actually care. Feed and Drink is one of the most important things to do to keep your chickens warm and not cold at night, And also make sure you keep cleaning the hutch out and putting extra thick straw in the sleeping area.
I live in Wolverhampton, England and its mainly cold down here so we always do this and the chickens love it.

This may help,
Lewbylew99

Back
Top Bottom