keeping neighbors dogs off the property, what kind of dog can i get?

Just want to mention the other side of the coin. My entire life with one exception I have had herding dogs (That one exception was a real misfit.) and most of my life I have had poultry, chickens, geese, bantams, ducks and guineas.) I've never had a problem, The dogs were loose with the birds and no one has ever been hurt. I would trust my dogs and the dogs I have had implicitly with poultry. I also have friends with herding dogs and poultry.
My oldest is 14 and we can proudly say nothing has ever been harmed or taken on his watch.
That said, I personally wouldn't get a border collie as some can be over the top although I do know someone who has a BC and bantams.
The herding dogs that can interact with poultry in our neighborhood are collies, shelties (more of an alarm clock, not guard dogs but that is one of the breeds I always have), English shepherds, aussies, German Shepherds, Shiloh shepherd (a type of German shepherd, it appears to me), curs, mixes and cattle dogs.
BTW, I've known some terriers who do get along with poultry, but perhaps not as a general rule.

haha, well i got one with the pellet gun and it didnt seem to shaken up by the whole thing. maybe if my neighbors see the paintball marks they will know to keep their **** dogs tied up or shoot them! they don't barey feed the dogs anyways, so im not worried about peta. funny thing is, when i moved in here, that same neighbor was bitching about the previous owners having dogs that came on to their property all the time.

i DO like dogs, but i just am more annoyed by them than their worth. they crap and pee everywhere, they drool, and are like babies, constantly following you and needing attention, can't ever just go into the garden without the dog there jumping over rows and walking on seedlings. ugh! no dog for me! thanks for opening my eyes everyone. i am a sucker for animals but in the end it just isn't worth it. ill carry my desert eagle style pellet gun with me and if i spot the dogs i'll go rambo! if that doesn't work ill use the 22, or maybe set out some poison for them one night when my animals are safely put away...
You don't like much a dog is good for, i on the other hand love everything about them and i have quite a large pack, they all have specific jobs and do them well, the aussie girl herds, pit bulls and rottie kill intruders and the livestock guardians keep up with all the boundrys.
Out here we got wild hogs that will not think twice about taking after a human in the woods, i never worry about that and i am in the woods most every day unless the wind is blowing
wink.png

After a fox

Snake killers

Resting aftert a long night

snake kill

waiting for the call

another snake kill

Taking out an intruder

Chillen with her peeps

coon kill

another snake kill

Chillen with her peas

He is chillen with the peas

Farm dog in training, i loved this dog and would have loved to keep him here, he is a mix but turned out to be a great guardian that now has his own farm

The herder, sure saves me alot of steps around here when the birds go where they do not belong.

possum kill

RIP Pookie best little chick mom in the world

possum kill and more pups in training for their own farm.

Crazey birds , they ain't scared of a dead snake and have no problem pointng out one that enters the safe zone

Making the rounds

Last edited:
I have had a lot of dogs in my life. A corgi cross that didn't take crap off of anything or any body. Two Aussies that would have given their life for me, but still very good with all livestock. A manchester terrier that was the perfect homestead companion and child's pet. All of them lived a good long life and were put to sleep when the time came.

haha, well i got one with the pellet gun and it didnt seem to shaken up by the whole thing. maybe if my neighbors see the paintball marks they will know to keep their **** dogs tied up or shoot them! they don't barey feed the dogs anyways, so im not worried about peta. funny thing is, when i moved in here, that same neighbor was bitching about the previous owners having dogs that came on to their property all the time.

i DO like dogs, but i just am more annoyed by them than their worth. they crap and pee everywhere, they drool, and are like babies, constantly following you and needing attention, can't ever just go into the garden without the dog there jumping over rows and walking on seedlings. ugh! no dog for me! thanks for opening my eyes everyone. i am a sucker for animals but in the end it just isn't worth it. ill carry my desert eagle style pellet gun with me and if i spot the dogs i'll go rambo! if that doesn't work ill use the 22, or maybe set out some poison for them one night when my animals are safely put away...
Obviously, I missed this post entirely before. Be very careful with the pellet gun. Believe it or not, if you injure a dog with it - get a pellet under the skin that gets infected, take an eye out, puncture a lung, or any other possibilities - your neighbors could take you to court for cruelty to animals. They may not win, but it could be costly. You obviously aren't too interested in keeping them off your property the easy way, so I guess you're gonna do what you're gonna do. I wish your birds the best of luck. They'll need it.

PS - Please don't set out poison. Those dogs aren't the only animals crossing your property at night. You may end up with unintended targets.

@Zasouse - You have some serious snakes there! We don't grow them that big here in MN, and none of ours will kill us if they bite us.

Last edited:
wow those pics are awesome! now i want a dog again! haha, but it's just not right for me. Snakes? where do you live that you have big snakes like that? Only garter snakes where i am, thank god!

If I could suggest that you adopt a dog rather than getting a puppy. There are so many dogs out there that need good homes. If you get one from a reputable group, they will know the dog's temperment and abilities. It takes puppies a couple years to settle down unless you are willing to spend a lot of time on training. It sounds like you have your hands full already. I think talking to your neighbors about keeping their dogs away is a good suggestion. Also you can make a run for your chickens without spending a lot of money. We used scraps left over from other projects and from giveaways. Good luck in the new year. Hope you will be feeling better soon!

I'm with you. I love everything about dogs. That said, I won't make another suggestion without reading the whole post. No one needs a dog who thinks they are more trouble than they are worth!

I know BCs are very energetic and are happiest when they have a job. I would think Blue Heelers and other herding breeds would be the same.

Heelers are the same way, they need a job and stimulation or else they create their own job and stimulation and that usually isn't a good thing... In my case that usually means destroying something piece by piece if they are not stimulated by other means... I keep three 'Jolly Balls' aka hard plastic horse balls in the pasture with the Heelers and when they are bored they play soccer aka herd the balls, and they literally do this for hours on end each day... This is why thus far I keep my birds and dogs separated, because although I don't think my Heelers would intentionally attack birds they would almost certainly run them down all day...

Last edited:
I have had a lot of dogs in my life. A corgi cross that didn't take crap off of anything or any body. Two Aussies that would have given their life for me, but still very good with all livestock. A manchester terrier that was the perfect homestead companion and child's pet. All of them lived a good long life and were put to sleep when the time came.
I have never owned a corgi but i think one would fit in great here if i could find working lines, every one around here just bred for profit and don't care about what they were bred for.
Do you have a pic of your corgi cross?

Obviously, I missed this post entirely before. Be very careful with the pellet gun. Believe it or not, if you injure a dog with it - get a pellet under the skin that gets infected, take an eye out, puncture a lung, or any other possibilities - your neighbors could take you to court for cruelty to animals. They may not win, but it could be costly. You obviously aren't too interested in keeping them off your property the easy way, so I guess you're gonna do what you're gonna do. I wish your birds the best of luck. They'll need it.

PS - Please don't set out poison. Those dogs aren't the only animals crossing your property at night. You may end up with unintended targets.

@Zasouse - You have some serious snakes there! We don't grow them that big here in MN, and none of ours will kill us if they bite us.
what do you mean the easy way? if you mean the fence idea that many have said, well i literally don't have 50 extra dollars a month to spare. unless i can get a fence set up for 20 bucks, it's not an option. i figured i could get a free dog somewhere and food would cost me maybe 15-20 bucks a month. there were a few young dogs in my area that were up to date on shots and were free, so i figured i wouldnt have to pay for all of that

Unclejohn, how many birds ya got ? i have 100's that is why i rely on dogs.
wink.png

PS never use poison for anything other than rats, i have seen animals poisoned and it is a terrible way to die. do the right thing and protect your animals like you would protect your children, you would not poison your neighbor if they called your kid a name would ya? that is what kids do and dogs do what dogs do
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom