Keeping Peafowl questions

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by LillianMae, Dec 5, 2014.

1. LillianMae

LillianMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Oregon
    Hey guys, so I'm new to Peafowl, but very interested in them. I have a few questions.
    1. Can they be kept in a barn once they're grown, and also over winter?
    2. Can you keep a pair (male and female) without having to have others?
    3. Can you free range them on 3 acres? (I have 3 but it's not all fenced and we have neighbors.
    4. Do they need special feed?
    5. Can they be kept with chickens?
    Thanks!

2. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Hello LillianMae and
    [​IMG]

The questions you have about peakeeping are things that concern many new peapeople or people considering peas, so you will have good luck finding answers if you do a bit of searching on the Pea forum! [​IMG]

Another great resource for basic pea info are the Peafowl Stickies:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/389059/peafowl-sticky-topics-index

Good luck and keep asking questions!

3. Ditto on new's pot but:
    1. Over the winter yes, but I would hate for them to never see sunlight. Might affect their health.
    2. Yes!
    3. Yes, but if you have neighbors it will most likely be a losing cause. They will eventually roam.
    4. A regular layer pellet will do but for best health we like to add veggies occasionally and a little extra protein like dried cat food.
    5. Yes, but I would not recommend it. Real high probability that they will contract something from the chickens which will affect their health.

4. LillianMae

LillianMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Oregon
    Thank you for the answers! (For the wintering one, we would be adding windows to our barn). I don't think I'll be getting peafowl anytime soon then, I don't have the means as of right now to keep them separate from chickens, but at least now I know the answers to my questions if I ever do get peafowl. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by