Keeping them cool

Electrolytes should not be given full time, just once a week or so.
Probiotics are not needed, most good chicken feed already have them.
Oh I didn't know, I only give prebiotics because they are in the formula with the electrolytes. Is also has acidifiers what are they?

I gave them a half of a watermelon that we had eaten most of today there are still some pink bits left but it was mostly White let's just say they loved it I came back this afternoon to check it and basically only the green skin is left guess I'll be putting out watermelon to keep them cool from now on

I gave them a half of a watermelon that we had eaten most of today there are still some pink bits left but it was mostly White let's just say they loved it I came back this afternoon to check it and basically only the green skin is left guess I'll be putting out watermelon to keep them cool from now on

I never give them their own watermelon, but they always get the rinds from ours.

Also the guts and rinds from the canteloupe.

They love that stuff.

Oh I didn't know, I only give prebiotics because they are in the formula with the electrolytes. Is also has acidifiers what are they?
The general rule with additives (of any kind) in water is that you also offer plain water at the same time. Note that electrolytes in water create a very happy medium for microbes, so it is important to keep it clean and not leave it out for a long time.

Keep all water in the shade. We often have a large waterer behind a propped up piece of OSB - it is 6’ tall and 3’ wide and completely shades the large waterer.

In the afternoon when their run is in the shade, I will make a mash with water and feed. Sprinkle seeds or chopped up fruit on top. Push in as many ice cubes as I can. They devour this wet mash and the melting ice keeps it cool. I find that during hottest periods they don’t drink enough or eat much so the slow down in laying. But this gets them to eat and drink at the same time, and helps the egg production. Plus, it’s still their actual feed, so they are getting adequate nutrition.

Some people add ice to the waterers. Some will use a shallow and large tray then add ice so it melts and the chickens can stand in the shallow water to cool off.

Breeds: heavily feathered breeds are less tolerant of heat, but a Mediterranean type tends to handle the heat a bit better.

Next 10+ days we have record highs here in central Texas (100+ daily). They have a run that's covered, I close the coop access around 12pm since it's so hot, I give them their ice "A/C" and usually something frozen to munch on. I have been giving electrolytes daily but I saw that I shouldn't? They seem to hunker down near the coop where it's cooler with the gallon ice jugs around them. I've only seen them pant but not look terrible per se. I guess what I'm looking for from the group is that they sound like they're doing fine. 🤔😊 They're RIRs a little over 7 weeks old now. Pic is from 5 weeks.

What would distressed really look like?

Attachments

• 5 wks.jpg
    5 wks.jpg
    992.1 KB · Views: 5
Next 10+ days we have record highs here in central Texas (100+ daily). They have a run that's covered, I close the coop access around 12pm since it's so hot, I give them their ice "A/C" and usually something frozen to munch on. I have been giving electrolytes daily but I saw that I shouldn't? They seem to hunker down near the coop where it's cooler with the gallon ice jugs around them. I've only seen them pant but not look terrible per se. I guess what I'm looking for from the group is that they sound like they're doing fine. 🤔😊 They're RIRs a little over 7 weeks old now. Pic is from 5 weeks.

What would distressed really look like?
They look great! FWIW, the chicks are less tolerant of heat, especially if it's not so gradual, and as adults those same birds that were panting with their wings out when it was 76 in the shade, are foraging around unphased at 90 degrees.

Yeah, they still forage even when it's super hot. They're very spoiled. 😜 I guess they'll be like desert chickens by the time they're full grown going through this heat wave so early!! It's been steadily getting hotter since April so that is beneficial in acclimating.

Back
Top Bottom