Keeping them cool

I'm sorry I can't personally relate (other than short periods in summer) as my typical Pacific Northwest is wet and cool.

However, on hot days you can put out chilled watermelon slices as a snack. Also many owners who live in perpetual hot places (like my daughter in TN), have misting and fan systems to keep the birds cool.

For me, I've been known to run the sprinkler for the birds to play in (which they absolutely love on a hot day).

I'm sure others who live in the heat will have more suggestions.

LofMc

I'm sorry I can't personally relate (other than short periods in summer) as my typical Pacific Northwest is wet and cool.

However, on hot days you can put out chilled watermelon slices as a snack. Also many owners who live in perpetual hot places (like my daughter in TN), have misting and fan systems to keep the birds cool.

For me, I've been known to run the sprinkler for the birds to play in (which they absolutely love on a hot day).

I'm sure others who live in the heat will have more suggestions.

LofMc
Okay thanks I am planning on installing fans I also have a watering can which I sometimes let them play under. My orpington loves puddles so she loves the watering can since it makes the ground wet. I was concerned about the silkies getting to wet though is this a valid concern?

Here's my article on Hot Climate chicken keeping: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/

Misters work best in hot DRY climates. In an already humid climate they can make things worse.

GOOD point. Southwest Florida would be very humid.

I know when I was a kid in Arizona, my family used a swamp cooler that kept things nice and cool. We had one in Oregon, and it was TERRIBLE. My western Oregon is already so humid that adding more humidity made things worse.

LofMc

I live in the Midwest and it can get pretty hot here. I use a fan in the coop. Frozen watermelon or plain watermelon. I also mist the sand and dirt in the run. Plenty of shade and water also. And if you can give them cold water every morning. I also have gave them electrolytes if i notice them just laying around not doing anything it helps alot.

I live in the Midwest and it can get pretty hot here. I use a fan in the coop. Frozen watermelon or plain watermelon. I also mist the sand and dirt in the run. Plenty of shade and water also. And if you can give them cold water every morning. I also have gave them electrolytes if i notice them just laying around not doing anything it helps alot.
Thanks I am definitely installing fans and I just bought some watermelon so will share with the chickens. They also get electrolytes and probiotics in their water.

Back
Top Bottom