Keeping turkeys healthy

TurkeyKeeper

Chirping
Jan 12, 2022
It's been around 8 months since I've gotten my 2 broad breasted whites. The first one, Jerry, seems to be fine. She is nice and healthy with no visible problems. However, a few days ago I realized that her sister, Tom, had swollen feet. I did some research and after digging around discovered that it may be due to her getting too plump.there are diseases that can cause this but I don't think any of those are the cause of it. I'm wondering what would be the healthier option to feed them. I have an assorted mix of crushed corn with nuts and i also have pellet feed. I give them both of these but I'm thinking of reducing the amount I'm giving them and giving them a bit more of the healthier option. Which one should I give more of?

It's been around 8 months since I've gotten my 2 broad breasted whites. The first one, Jerry, seems to be fine. She is nice and healthy with no visible problems. However, a few days ago I realized that her sister, Tom, had swollen feet. I did some research and after digging around discovered that it may be due to her getting too plump.there are diseases that can cause this but I don't think any of those are the cause of it. I'm wondering what would be the healthier option to feed them. I have an assorted mix of crushed corn with nuts and i also have pellet feed. I give them both of these but I'm thinking of reducing the amount I'm giving them and giving them a bit more of the healthier option. Which one should I give more of?
Do not feed the crushed corn with nuts.

If possible allow lots of free range time.

Broad breasted turkeys can be fed as low as 12.5% protein feed but it also needs to be a low fat feed.

Do not feed the crushed corn with nuts.

If possible allow lots of free range time.

Broad breasted turkeys can be fed as low as 12.5% protein feed but it also needs to be a low fat feed.
They free range all day until around 8 pm. They like to walk and run however the one with swelled feet seems to prefer naps. She will still run and walk around though. Also, How much should I be feeding them?

They free range all day until around 8 pm. They like to walk and run however the one with swelled feet seems to prefer naps. She will still run and walk around though. Also, How much should I be feeding them?
I never limited my BBs access to food. My experience is that when you limit access to food, it causes excess eating when food is available.

In your case you may want to follow that site's advice on the amount of feed. Some of their information is good.

Back
Top Bottom