Keeping up humidity during lockdown.

croach510

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Quinton, Va
I just put my 3 bantam eggs on lockdown. I was able to get the humidity up to 65-70%. My problem is it will only stay up if i keep the plugs in.
he.gif
When I try to take the plugs out it drops down to around 55%. It is my understanding that both plugs need to be taken out when you get close to hatching because the chicks need the oxygen. Am I wrong about that. Is it okay to keep the plugs in to keep the humidity up? Anyone with some advice please help.
idunno.gif

I had a hard time getting humidity up to begin with, so I used one of my grandaughters pull ups. I cut it into strips, soaked with hot water and laid 7 of them under the wire in the bottom of the bator. Filled all the troughs with water. Took a baby food jar and filled with hot water and put a paper towel in the jar with about an inch hanging out. Also took a new sponge and soaked that in hot water and laid under the vent holes. Finally humidity went up to 65-70%, but with the plugs in. I'm just so flustrated.
he.gif
What else can I do to raise the humidity? I have a LG Still Air. HELP!!!!!!!! Please.

You are fine hatching at 55%, add a little water to try to get it to 60%, is you incubator an a drafty place? I don't have that big of a problem with humidity, since I started to put it in the closet.

My son has a termostat and hygrometer that he was using for a pet snake. I put it in the bator when I put the eggs on lockdown. I took one plug out about an hour ago and that hygrometer is reading 66% the one I have in there is reading 57% so you are correct mine is not working right. My concern now is during the first 18 days I made sure that mine stayed around 30% which means it probably was at around 40%.
barnie.gif
So do you think that at 40% for the first 18 days was to high and the eggs may not have lost enough water, causing the chicks to drown when the internally pip?

My son has a termostat and hygrometer that he was using for a pet snake. I put it in the bator when I put the eggs on lockdown. I took one plug out about an hour ago and that hygrometer is reading 66% the one I have in there is reading 57% so you are correct mine is not working right. My concern now is during the first 18 days I made sure that mine stayed around 30% which means it probably was at around 40%.
barnie.gif
So do you think that at 40% for the first 18 days was to high and the eggs may not have lost enough water, causing the chicks to drown when the internally pip?

they should be ok... I know I have incubated at 40 to 45% with no issues.. so hopefully it wasn't off by too much.. if these do drown though at least you'll know for next time to use a different hygrometer or try dry hatching

please keep us updated

My last hat I had 4 of them in my incubator, and all four were different. I am running a test hatch to see if I can incubate with out adding water. The hens do it. Why not
hu.gif

My intentions where to keep humidity between 25-30% during days 1-18 and raise it to 60-65% during lockdown. But obviously they ran between 35-40% the first 18 days. Am hoping that was not to high and the eggs lost enought water. I have now taken the 2nd plug out and the humidity is holding at 63% I hope this is high enough!
fl.gif
Thanks for the quick respones. I didnt want to have to keep messing with the bator during lock down. Im pretty sure thats what happened to my last hatch. I kept opening to add hot water to get the humidity up, which I have now found out that it was already up and they would have been okay.
barnie.gif
Im praying with everyones help these 3 will hatch into some cute fuzzy butts.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom