Keeping up humidity during lockdown.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by croach510, Apr 18, 2012.

1. croach510

croach510 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    Quinton, Va
    I just put my 3 bantam eggs on lockdown. I was able to get the humidity up to 65-70%. My problem is it will only stay up if i keep the plugs in. [​IMG] When I try to take the plugs out it drops down to around 55%. It is my understanding that both plugs need to be taken out when you get close to hatching because the chicks need the oxygen. Am I wrong about that. Is it okay to keep the plugs in to keep the humidity up? Anyone with some advice please help.[​IMG]

2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

take out the plugs and increase the surface area of the water..

use something like clean wet sponges.. wet paper towels.. some of the people here take a baby food jar with water in it and stick a sponge out of it like a tower

3. croach510

Mar 27, 2012
    Quinton, Va
    I had a hard time getting humidity up to begin with, so I used one of my grandaughters pull ups. I cut it into strips, soaked with hot water and laid 7 of them under the wire in the bottom of the bator. Filled all the troughs with water. Took a baby food jar and filled with hot water and put a paper towel in the jar with about an inch hanging out. Also took a new sponge and soaked that in hot water and laid under the vent holes. Finally humidity went up to 65-70%, but with the plugs in. I'm just so flustrated. [​IMG] What else can I do to raise the humidity? I have a LG Still Air. HELP!!!!!!!! Please.

4. yinepu

ah.. your hygrometer HAS to be off if it's still reading low after all that.. just leave it as it is.. I'm sure it's plenty high!

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    You are fine hatching at 55%, add a little water to try to get it to 60%, is you incubator an a drafty place? I don't have that big of a problem with humidity, since I started to put it in the closet.

6. croach510

Mar 27, 2012
    Quinton, Va
    My son has a termostat and hygrometer that he was using for a pet snake. I put it in the bator when I put the eggs on lockdown. I took one plug out about an hour ago and that hygrometer is reading 66% the one I have in there is reading 57% so you are correct mine is not working right. My concern now is during the first 18 days I made sure that mine stayed around 30% which means it probably was at around 40%. [​IMG] So do you think that at 40% for the first 18 days was to high and the eggs may not have lost enough water, causing the chicks to drown when the internally pip?

7. yinepu

they should be ok... I know I have incubated at 40 to 45% with no issues.. so hopefully it wasn't off by too much.. if these do drown though at least you'll know for next time to use a different hygrometer or try dry hatching

please keep us updated

8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    My last hat I had 4 of them in my incubator, and all four were different. I am running a test hatch to see if I can incubate with out adding water. The hens do it. Why not [​IMG]

9. croach510

Mar 27, 2012
    Quinton, Va
    My intentions where to keep humidity between 25-30% during days 1-18 and raise it to 60-65% during lockdown. But obviously they ran between 35-40% the first 18 days. Am hoping that was not to high and the eggs lost enought water. I have now taken the 2nd plug out and the humidity is holding at 63% I hope this is high enough![​IMG] Thanks for the quick respones. I didnt want to have to keep messing with the bator during lock down. Im pretty sure thats what happened to my last hatch. I kept opening to add hot water to get the humidity up, which I have now found out that it was already up and they would have been okay.[​IMG] Im praying with everyones help these 3 will hatch into some cute fuzzy butts. [​IMG]

10. yinepu

ok.. go get a cup of coffee or tea.. sit down.. take a deep breath .. (yes BREATHE).. and try to relax... they should be ok

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by