Keeping water cold in the heat!

rdranch

Songster
12 Years
Apr 13, 2007
Strasburg,CO
I've been putting two 1/2gallon plastic juice bottles of ice in the 3 gallon metal water fount that is outside in the run. It will keep the water cool to cold during the worst of the heat(over 100 degreees). I put only one in the fount that is in the coop as it is in the shade. They stay pretty clean and only need a quick rinse and light sanitization before they go back in he freezer for the next day. We've been having a record dry and hot summer here in eastern Colorado and it seems to be helping a great deal.

Relief is coming, I read that it is supposed to be in the 80's this week and might even get into the 70's the week after! I hope thats true....
fl.gif

Wildsky, what a great idea! I have a FoodSaver/bags and will do up some of these tomorrow for this week's horrible heat. Monday's heat index is supposed to be between 105-110.
ep.gif

Welcome to my world y'all.

As a common bumper sticker around here states, "I'm not afraid of going He!!, I'm from Phoenix!"

Quote:
Make a few different sizes, sometimes I need em to freeze back up fast and the long skinny ones freeze fast.

Overall they're easier than bottles (I do have juice bottles also freezing) the bottles take up a lot of space! I stand them in front of the fan.

THinking of hanging bags in front of the fan - I have chicken wire around the fan to keep from chopping up beaks and tails.... I could hang ice bags from that I think... Hmmmmmmmmmm

We're cooling off now, the last few days were HORRIBLE!

Quote:
I'm with you........Friday about 1 pm, channel 15 news said Sky Harbor was 111. It was 119 here at my house in the Verde Valley. Yesterday, it was 113 at 12:30.

I also keep frozen bottles in the waterers as well as frozen 2 liter and gallon jugs in the hen house to help in there.

Will do. I want to also do some that'll fit inside the waterers and hopefully cool it off where I won't have to keep refilling every couple of hours during the day. I use a LG 3 gallon waterer inside the coop and then have a bucket with lid that hangs on the outside and feeds water to a fount bottom. The bags shouldn't take up as much space and I know switching out the bags will be lots easier than dumping the bucket and waterer so much.
Water bill for July was 118.00!!
th.gif

Mahonri, does it matter that ours is humid heat and not arrid heat?
cool.png
It's already 87 before 9am here and everything is sweating! LOL

I went and bought some freezer storage containers and was filling them with water and freezing them up. I have not done it for a few days, and really need to. Will do it today.

Back
Top Bottom