Best Waterers for Ducks

Ronnie_

Chirping
Mar 1, 2023
Hi all!
I could use some input on waterers or watering systems that work well and are easy to clean and sanitize.

Right now my girls use a K&H unheated waterer (also have access to a pool and horse food bowl of water). The K&H works great but I’m having issues with growth in the water reservoir. I add a splash of ACV to the 2 gallons and that helps keep algae at bay. It’s emptied/rinsed daily and deep soaked/cleaned weekly. Cleaning it is terrible due to its shape and it has orange/black growth occurring in the inside plastic now that will not come off. I’m looking into using IO Starr (iodine based disinfectant I used for my kombucha vessels) to sanitize but I know this will stain the plastic. But this is only if I can confirm its safety with my vet. (It’s safe for human use when properly diluted so 🤷🏼‍♀️)
Anyway~
I’m looking for a different waterer that is good for them to still dunk their heads and is easy to clean and sanitize out.

Also with being in zone 6B I’d appreciate any tips on waterers that are winter friendly or heated.

Any suggestions would be great.
I added a pic of the K&H model we use. Again the shape and opening making cleaning awful.

Attachments

• 7149C437-4039-43AE-88BE-463CC9399739.png
    7149C437-4039-43AE-88BE-463CC9399739.png
    594.1 KB · Views: 101
I have seen this waterer before on here but I can't see it being very good for ducks to do head dunking. I get food-grade buckets from my grocery store in the bakery section [free] lids included Then we cut holes in the tops of the lids so they can dunk their heads but not splash all the water out. And it gives my chickens something to stand on while drinking. In winter I use heated buckets we're in the same zone as you nothing fancy but it does the job. I buy those bathroom scrub brushes for toilet cleaning to scrub my buckets out. I put a piece of scrap wood over half my heated buckets to keep my Muscovy from using them as mini hot tubs IMG_1699.jpeg

Thank you! I might just ditch the K&H entirely. I’ve been fighting the pink slime mold and black growth constantly and I don’t want them getting sick. I might just get some food grade buckets.

For your heated buckets are you using a galvanized or stainless steel with a bucket de-icer or is it a specific bucket that has its own heating unit?

Thank you again Miss Lydia! 😊

1690745428400.png
I use large size gravity-fed water bowls. I have to keep a couple because they will freeze during our cold winter days so get replaced during the day. The pic isn't quite like the ones I have as the bowl is deeper so the Muscovy ducks can get their whole head in.

I just use buckets I got from the feed store... think theyre about 2 gallons each and come in pretty colors.. I have some little ones 5qt size ones too. and 3 gallon size for the geese. Also a giant flexible type bowl., so most of the ducks can access the floating feed at once.. And sometimes the big black rectangle shaped tubs. And a couple of kiddie pools. water water everywhere lol . I use sand and gravel around them if it gets too muddy. Im also using the green eco rugs made from plastic 2 litre soda bottles now in some areas that get too muddy
I use vinegar and a scrub brush to clean... every day on the ones that get the floating mazuri feed. once or twice a week on all the other ones.
when I have to keep ducks indoors i use a boot tray with a towel on it under the buckets. It absorbs most of the spillage.
Most of the winter they dont freeze but if they do I go out pour a kettle full of boiling water in. I also have one heated bucket I can use if I need to, but I hate to have an electrical cord out there.

View attachment 3594188I use large size gravity-fed water bowls. I have to keep a couple because they will freeze during our cold winter days so get replaced during the day. The pic isn't quite like the ones I have as the bowl is deeper so the Muscovy ducks can get their whole head in.
Mine would be bathing in it lol

I use 2 “heated dog water bowls”. I bought from my local feed store (Stockdales). This is similar: https://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovat...pcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A1DXN92KCKEQV4
Obviously the are not plugged in currently. I clean and change the water every evening. At the same time, I change the water in the pools not in their coop (horse water dish and Home Depot plant pond). Since they are then locked in for the night in their coop, the pool water is clean for the day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom