Keeping water from freezing

esquire22210

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2015
Just discovered you can use an aquarium heater in your bucket waterer (the one with nipples) and it keeps the water from freezing. Cost about 6 dollars. Works great. Just thought this might help somebody else.

I thought aquarium heaters sounded like a good idea until I read this post:
As someone who is a die hard aquarium person and worked with various aquarium heaters for the last 20+ years I DO NOT recommend them for outdoor use, especially in a watering can. They are wasteful of energy, if they short they can over heat and melt things, they would need to run really hard to keep up with the cold, most can only go down to 65 degrees if adjustable or are set at 78 degrees if not adjustable. If the water level goes down enough that the glass and heating element is exposed, they can crack or break (most are glass). They also have a regular household cord. Plus they are almost the same price as a stock tank deicer!

Aquarium heaters can work but they are not designed to keep water thawed in freezing temperatures. I bought a stock tank deicer for about $30. It's designed to work in freezing temperatures. it comes on when the water gets to 35 degrees and turns off when the water is 45 degrees. I've used it for 3 years now. Even at -22 F my water is thawed.

Back
Top Bottom