keeping wild turkeys away

sayyadina

Songster
10 Years
May 19, 2009
We have a flock of wild turkeys that live in the area, and they're becoming a bit of a nuisance. They'll come right up to the house in their foraging, and one was trying to get in through one of our glass sliding doors this morning! Plus, the sounds they make wake me up when I'm trying to sleep. They woke me up at the crack of dawn this morning, which I didn't appreciate.

We're on 22 acres, and our nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away, so they don't have a lack of space. And I don't think anyone is hand feeding them. I do dump leftover parrot seed outside, but I do so well away from the house.

The only 2 suggestions I've had to this issue are to either A) kill a couple or B) get a dog. I don't like killing things, so I really, really don't want to have to do this. I'm also not too comfortable getting a dog, because I don't trust our fencing to keep it out of the alpaca pastures. We have some very nice alpacas & babies every year, so a dog could be a real threat. Maybe a really small dog would be ok, but I'm not sure about it.

Would a recording of a big dog barking work? Any other ideas?

Have you tried chasing them off and while doing it make loud noises ?

I have some turkeys that rarely come in my yard but when they do and they see us they take off and don't come back for months !!

I agree with poultrykeeper. Burst out of the house and scare the tailfeathers off 'em. Yell loud and even fire a shotgun into the air. I think you would see turkey butts fading into the woods
big_smile.png

They are not trying to get into your house via the sliding doors! It is responding to seeing it's own reflection. Very common occurance. They will peck at their reflection and attempt to challenge it thinking they are looking at another turkey. As smart as turkeys can be at times, they can also be incredibly stupid.

Try blocking the lower portion of the pane for a while. Killing wild turkeys without a hunting license , out of season, or both is illegal and if you did it would classify you as a poacher in the eyes of the law, nuisance or not! Scaring them several times will keep them at a distance, especially a quick run at the flock.

I enjoy having the wild birds come visit, but then again my user name says it all!
lol.png

Turkeys are really silly when the can see their reflection. A large male keeps coming up to our sliding glass door and attacking it. He actually left bloody marks from his face all over the glass. So i blocked the bottom of the doors off with some heavy duty trash bags. He hasnt came back to "fight" since. But he does like my husbands truck. He struts back and forth back and forth.

this is too funny because I am trying to get them to come to my house so I can trap a couple of them in one of my pens....and feed them. I just love turkeys.

D'Angelo N Va. :

this is too funny because I am trying to get them to come to my house so I can trap a couple of them in one of my pens....and feed them. I just love turkeys.

Don't even Try!!!!

First it is illeagal in every state to trap any wild turkey, to either kill or attempt to confine. So you set yourself up for potential problems with the law. Second, even if you did, the wild caught bird(s) would kill themselves attempting to escape their enclosure, and I mean KILL themselves. A wild turkey is extremely nervous and alert for predators and even you approaching them would set them off into a frenzy. Don't do it.....you will be very ,very, disappointed if you are successful in catching them.​

I have tried screaming, chasing and shooting into the air and they continue to come back! Last year we had a nest in our yard and thought it was kinda neat but they continue to make a mess in my yard and bang on my patio doors. The problem is I'm gone during the day so they have a good old time when I'm not here to chase them away. I just came home to turkey crap all over my patio. The other day I was in my home office and when I went to the kitchen I counted 33 turkeys right outside my windows! I really would like them gone!

I have tried screaming, chasing and shooting into the air and they continue to come back! Last year we had a nest in our yard and thought it was kinda neat but they continue to make a mess in my yard and bang on my patio doors. The problem is I'm gone during the day so they have a good old time when I'm not here to chase them away. I just came home to turkey crap all over my patio. The other day I was in my home office and when I went to the kitchen I counted 33 turkeys right outside my windows! I really would like them gone! Talk to

You could try talking to the wild life service, sometimes they will trap and relocate to an area that needs a boost to its turkey population. You're other best bet is probably one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Contech-CRO10...83&sr=8-1&keywords=motion+activated+sprinkler

Neighbors have a heard of alpacas and three Great Pyrenees Dog that protect the herd.
The males can get up to 120lbs. They are perfect for protection of heard animals like sheep, alpacas.

In Mexico I have seen herd's of goats running across the road and mixed up in between them there was a few big dogs running with them.
I asked whats up with that? and I was told that the farmer gets a puppy as soon as it is born before it opens its eyes and puts the puppy with the goats so when the dog opens its eyes the first thing it sees is goats and the dog is feed goats milk.
The dog now thinks it a goat and herds with them and runs with them.
they do this to free range the goats and have the dog protect the herd.
Work wonderful.

I live in the bush in the Mt's and we have given up calling any government agent for issues with wild animals.
They always seem to make the issue worst. They only seem to care if they can make money some how.
So the neighborhood takes care of its own issues when there are wild animals that need to be dealt with
and follow the three S rule. shoot, shovel and shut up. Not telling anybody that they should do it, but that's how its done over here.

Just a few weeks ago here a ranger shot a mans dog while he was ice fishing with a friend.
Shot the dog 4 times and then made the man stand there watching his dog die while he gave him a ticket.
By the time he was allowed to go and make it to the vet the dog bleed to death.
I don't want anything to do with those people.
As Albert Einstein once said; "Force always attracts men of low morality."

Back
Top Bottom