Keeping your Pekins healthy

My pekin has had a lot of foot issues and my avian veterinarian has recommended grass outside, 4-6 inches of clean regularly fluffed straw inside the barn (or coop), and several layers of towels when she is inside. She told me to avoid all boards, gravel, and rocks. Following the recommendations has helped a lot, and even solved our problems when she was younger.

Unfortunately, I have a lot of experience with an unwell pekin. I've just spent the last several years devoting myself to keeping one alive. She's 7 now and I feel we've gone through everything.

My avian veterinarian has also told me that "food production animals, bred for meat or eggs, often have issues because of growing too quickly or overactive reproductive systems." Their bodies don't care if we love them like pets or not. Sad, but true.
Ok, I understand. I'm planning to surround their pond with rocks though, so I'm not sure I can completely avoid them.

I think I'm mulching the run but maybe sand is a better route? I'm not sure.

Ok, I understand. I'm planning to surround their pond with rocks though, so I'm not sure I can completely avoid them.

I think I'm mulching the run but maybe sand is a better route? I'm not sure.
From what I hear, sand will keep their run on the dry side and make cleaning a bit easier, as the moisture from the poop with gett pulled by the sand and you can just scoop the poop out, less sand gets wasted.

I havnt heard any pros or cons to using mulch though, but I know plenty of people use it.

From what I hear, sand will keep their run on the dry side and make cleaning a bit easier, as the moisture from the poop with gett pulled by the sand and you can just scoop the poop out, less sand gets wasted.

I havnt heard any pros or cons to using mulch though, but I know plenty of people use it.
I use mulch in the chicken coop, but it sounds like sand is my best option.

I use mulch in the chicken coop, but it sounds like sand is my best option.
I asked my vet about sand, she told me it was great for feet/legs. But that there was a risk of impaction from them digging around in it with their bills. I decided not to use it. But I know a BYC member who used it and really disliked it. We live in a wet/rainy area, though.

My vet did say mulch was too hard for duck feet, but I know BYC members who use it without issue. There seems to be varying results.

I've had great results with grass. They do need a very large aviary to not dig it all up, and I have to replant it as well.

I asked my vet about sand, she told me it was great for feet/legs. But that there was a risk of impaction from them digging around in it with their bills. I decided not to use it. But I know a BYC member who used it and really disliked it. We live in a wet/rainy area, though.

My vet did say mulch was too hard for duck feet, but I know BYC members who use it without issue. There seems to be varying results.

I've had great results with grass. They do need a very large aviary to not dig it all up, and I have to replant it as well.
I had second thoughts after researching sand and am going with mulch

I had second thoughts after researching sand and am going with mulch
The potentially fatal consequences of sand scared me away from it!

Some people seem to not have any issues with mulch. From my experiences I would recommend keeping an eye on their feet. If they start experiencing repeated incidents of bumblefoot you might find it worth it to switch to something softer.

Make sure to post photos of your babies! 💖

The potentially fatal consequences of sand scared me away from it!

Some people seem to not have any issues with mulch. From my experiences I would recommend keeping an eye on their feet. If they start experiencing repeated incidents of bumblefoot you might find it worth it to switch to something softer.

Make sure to post photos of your babies! 💖
Me too!

I watch for bumble foot on my chickens too, I’ll be extra careful with these guys.

They arrived this morning! https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/💐🐤the-ducklings-are-here-🐤💐.1458748/page-2#post-24291818

Back
Top Bottom