Keeping your Pekins healthy

We have three four-week-old ducklings--a Pekin, Welsh Harlequin, and a Cayuga. The Pekin has recently developed breathing problems, I think some kind of upper respiratory infection, I'm taking her to the vet today. I think perhaps the water container I had in their brooder wasn't actually deep enough for her to dip her whole head in, since she's already so much bigger than the other two. Just something to keep an eye on for yours! I'm excited for you, new ducklings are the cutest.

We have three four-week-old ducklings--a Pekin, Welsh Harlequin, and a Cayuga. The Pekin has recently developed breathing problems, I think some kind of upper respiratory infection, I'm taking her to the vet today. I think perhaps the water container I had in their brooder wasn't actually deep enough for her to dip her whole head in, since she's already so much bigger than the other two. Just something to keep an eye on for yours! I'm excited for you, new ducklings are the cutest.
Let’s see picture of the container so we can help evaluate if that is what happened.

Good luck with your new birds! I hope your Pekin will be alright

Let’s see picture of the container so we can help evaluate if that is what happened.

Good luck with your new birds! I hope your Pekin will be alright

I was using the container on the left for about a week, then moved the the one on the right a few days ago. Last night I upgraded to this big bowl just to stop second-guessing whether it was deep enough or not. They are also getting swim time in the tub almost every day, but I had to skip a day last week and I feel like that was when I first noticed her breathing.

Thanks! I really hope it’s just like a mild sinus infection.

The photos of your new babies are adorable 🥰 and your Pekin definitely seems like he/she’s in good hands.

Attachments

• EFC71BF9-6DEE-417D-AB05-2E9487908301.jpeg
    EFC71BF9-6DEE-417D-AB05-2E9487908301.jpeg
    573.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 92F882D9-BF89-47BB-A6BB-D247BAE65380.jpeg
    92F882D9-BF89-47BB-A6BB-D247BAE65380.jpeg
    365.7 KB · Views: 7
From what I’ve read about Pekins having owned one think the Jumbo Pekin can have problems with her legs and feet not only from niacin deficiency but the sheer weight and volume of the duck. They were breed to be a livestock meat bird, faster to the table and market so maybe less regard to longstanding health. That sucks beca they make unbelievable pets and companions who have huge personalities.

Almost all of my ducks are fairly large bodied breed, if I stay with this mad mad hobby I’m going to smaller breeds that don’t suffer from our meddling in the gene pool as much.

My Jumbo Pekin had a movie star waddle and gate lol. It was comical but I completely understand the challenges they have for leg and joint problems. I am going through the Bumblefoot Blues with my Blue Swedish now. Then found another booboo foot this evening on a Cayuga 🤦‍♂️

I am going to replant the mucky wet area In front of the coop this weekend and fence it off for a spell. I’m thinking I’ll keep moving the pools and common area to keep more grass cover and less mud and poo mix.
I would like to try a mulched area but I know they will dig it up. What about splinters?

Back
Top Bottom