thatsavourycat

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2018
Sask, Canada
Hi, I've been raising Guineas for the past 10 years and have stumbled upon an issue with this years hatch (so far).
I have two keets that for some unknown reason, are acting sickly. They are from a batch of 15 that hatch on varied days due to another hen laying in the brood hen's nest. The broody hen wasn't caring for the keets properly so they were transferred to a chicken hen with ease. They should be properly cared for as I've observed them eating and drinking, along with checking at night for those that couldn't make it back into the nesting box for whatever reason.
Just over that last 4-5 days I've had two keets die, and yesterday one was laying on the ground with it's legs stretched straight and it's head bent back. It was still breathing so I moved it into a styrofoam incubator for heat. He's perked up a bit but shows no interest in eating or drinking. Today, I brought another one in responding in the same manner to keep an eye on. Shortly after I brought the second in I tried convincing the first to at least drink. Just then he started having seizure-like convulsions and went into the same position as I had first found him in.
Has anyone else had this issue? I don't know what to do to fix this. I'm starting everyone on Germ-Zone and wondering if electrolytes would help at all either.

Thanks in advance!

I have chicks and poults that hatched before the keets and have responded well to the Chick Feed I'm using. I don't think the food's and issue...
Chick starter is not appropriate for guinea keets or poults. They need the higher protein and higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin that can be found in a good turkey or gamebird starter feed. I feed my keets a 28% protein turkey/gamebird starter that has the higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin that they need.

I've raised keets on starter with little to no issues, and am aware of this requirement. I've given them cottage cheese as well for a protein boost (as we milk cows at home). The symptoms of the 2 keets startle me and I'm looking for a root cause for this. A friend of mine suggested that its a virus? If it was I'm sure I'd have many more dead by now...

Back
Top Bottom