Keets in the Mail

Quote:
That's just what I was told about the Post Office that I shipped your keets from Deb (I was told they ship LOTS of pigeons in and out of this particular Post Office all the time)... I don't know if ALL Post Offices put that much urgency or special handling into their bird shipments and deliveries tho... I'd like to think so, but I've heard some pretty awful horror stories about bird (keet) shipments/deliveries
hit.gif
Which was why I was a trainwreck waiting for delivery conformation on yours lol.

Well I am gladd your area has lots of Pigeon shipments.... hee hee. Good to know for when you get your NPIP going....

Quote:
Yep pretty scary.... why I was hesitant about going thorough a big hatchery. Also why when the time was near I had Peeps add my sons name to the contact info incase I wasnt able to pick them up myself. And why I kept up with the tracking report that the post office gave me. I knew when they left Northern california and when they arrived here in Southern California. LOL... I was litterally standing on the door matt of the post office at 9:00 am doing the "OPEN, OPEN, OPEN..." chant Because they had logged the box in at 8:30 am.... LOL

Poor PeepsCA recieved a failure to deliver notice from the post office while I was peeking in the box and smelling the watermellon and seeing little fuzzballs taking bites of it. Whew when I got home I had to assure her everything was ok. Gawd how traumatic it must have been for her.

Should have been more clear by keeping them in their coop, I am not talking of an average size coop. They will have a lean to off my barn, in the area that use to be to sort livestock I will cover in aviary netting if all goes as planned. So they will have a huge amount of space. They just won't be out in the woods with the other guineas. Figure I don't want to loose all my fancy colors before they multiply. I only had 2 coral blues & was very sad when I lost one. When I loose a lavender I just shrug it off I seem to get 3/4 lavenders in every hatch.

Perch girl you should have a post office more like mine. They call me @ no later than 720 when I get birds. I am there by 730 knocking on the back door. Small towns do have perks sometimes!

Last edited:
tested it first to see how the link worked.... Yay

What this shows is their big beautiful cage and perches and water dispensing setup. NO MORE SPILLS.

The Keets are now a month old and mostly feathered. I had just put shavings in the bottom of the cage . They spread them out from the center.... No problem...

The perches are simply a long length of PVC with a corner and two legs to form a sawhorse arrangement. No glue just pounded together. This way I can cannibalize them for other uses later.

72852_20110724_45.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks Cari I built that cage with five ten foot lengths of pvc eight corners. It took a single roll 25 foot long 40 inch wide plastic fencing wire. cut in two pieces. No joints are glued Everything is held together with a pound of Zip ties. It not intended to last. I built it in emergency mode when my tub brooder got flooded.... Sigh long story. But I wanted a place where thirty Keets could grow some have room to fly a little and put in my automatic waterer.

But with a little more time and real hardware cloth in combination with some plywood for at least two walls it could be quite a cozy brooding cage. I may convert it later once I get the little ones up to the house.

Quote:
The PVC would hold I used schedule 40 3/4 inch. But the mesh.... No. It would need some cross members below to support the mesh. Its an un supported span of 48 inches. Even Hardware cloth would sag. Set the cage on some Saw horses though and you'd have the cross support needed Part of the problem with PVC construction is you cant stretch the wire. There is nothing to staple it to. To make it a permanent brooder it should have a plywood bottom or at least a portion of it as plywood. That can be screwed to the pvc. Then short walls around of plywood to keep the bedding material in. As well as the heat from the heat lamp.

I don't like wire for floors I keep thinking about walking on something like that for my own bare feet. Even that rabbit cage I bought originally had a wire floor. I lined it with a plastic wire floor then filled it with shavings. I might consider doing a half plywood floor and half wire and set the roosts over the wire.... We will see when the time comes to build another.

Back
Top Bottom