Keets not drying

OrganicOkie

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 5, 2010
I am new to this forum. I looked for this topic and am in such a panic, probably missed it. Please redirect me and forgive me if I did.

I am hatching my 3rd round of guinea keets. The 1st round was a low hatch, the 2nd a complete failure and the one that is hatching now is actually doing fairly well, except they are hatching a tad early. So, I am an anxious mama right now.

My problem is that the keets that hatched yesterday morning are still not dry. The humidity here in OK has shot up and so even the humidity in the incubator is too high. The windows are damp and I don't think the babies will ever fluff up. What should I do? There are more eggs left to hatch (I think about 12 are out right now, hard to tell with everything fogged up.) I know that they need to more to the brooder for food and water soon.

Thanks for your help.

I hatched a bunch of keets about a month ago. I just took em out and put them under the heat lamp and they dried out fine eventually (considering how much they run around it didn't take long!!!). But I know you don't want to open the incubator - mine also started hatching three days early (!) and took five days to hatch completely so I HAD to get them out. Maybe you can take the incubator into a steamy bathroom and take out the early hatchers?

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. That link is great. I think that I will have to pull them out and quickly put them in the brooder tonight. They are in the basement right now and the humidity here is reading 80% outside the incubator! The more that hatch, the heavier the moisture gets! Thanks again, I'll let you all know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom