Kentucky anyone?

lurky

Songster
12 Years
Jun 4, 2007
Western MA
I am wondering if any BYCers live in the area of say.......Bowling Green Kentucky to the area of say.......whitehouse TN........Springfield TN???? We are thinking of moving to that area. I'll need to start researching the area for a house/jobs etc..... So if anyone here lives anywhere near there...I'm open to hearing of good places for a chicken farm
jumpy.gif
I'd like to hear what areas i should be looking into for this type of living. I have already seen alot of new developments and those new fancy homes are probably not going to welcome chickens.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you. I see alot of people on here from both states....but i dont know one place from the other. I hope i can get some good feedback on the best country-ish areas around those areas i mentioned
fl.gif

I love Tn. I live further south than where you are talking about, but from my travels throughout this great state, I would say anyplace outside of any city would fit what you are looking for. We first looked around the Cookeville area, which is closer to where you may be looking,but couldn't find what we were looking for. We finally found it and it is an old farmhouse with 34 acres, my piece of heaven on earth. Coming from up north, you will however be dismayed at the salary difference. I have never made so little a salary as I have here. This is typical in most cases in the south. I made great money in Pa.,Ga was bad, Fl not much better and here the worst. One thing is no state income tax and the propert tax is heavenly after living in Fl. Good Luck on your search.

Quote:
Well, how far south is Rock Island? Is there alot of little farm lands like i want? I am starting my search in the area mentioned, but if your area is what i am looking for, tell me more. I think this is going to take time. Once i find the area that suits us, then i will have to start making a list of what to do next. Can you give me the info of a few of the best realtors?????

Where are all the Kentucky people.....What part of Kentucky should i be looking for a little farm for my chickens??? I am finding some TN areas....but everything i find in Kentucky is over-developed fancy stuff...not farm like at all.

I am in Lewisburg KY. It is a small town, but what is great about it is that I am in the middle of three pretty good cities. They are Bowling Green, Hopkinsville and Nashville. I am about 50 miles from each of them. There are jobs in all three cities and the drives are not that bad at all. I work in Bowling Green, and I really like the drive to and from work. It lets me clear my mind. I love my little corner of the state, and people around here love my chickens! I don't know if you have kids or not but our school system is great from what I hear. My boys are too young for school still, but I hear nothing but wonderful things about the schools here in Logan County.

If you have anymore questions feel free to pm me. (Sorry about getting back to you so late, the kids let me sleep in!)

Thats perfect.....That the area i am interested in. I will surely be directing questions your way. Thanks, Wendy

I live in north Georgia right now but my parents live in Oak Ridge, TN. I plan on retiring there some day. I have always loved Tenn. All of my relatives live in Oak Ridge so for as long as I can remember I knew someday I would move there and grow old.

lurky,

Rock Island is approximately 10 minutes south of where I live.
lau.gif
Sorry, could resist as it is just down the highway from us.

I'm a TN transplant...originally from South Jersey. I love Middle Tennessee because of the rolling hills, valleys and beautiful State Parks. When I first moved to this area, 20 years ago, it was mostly all huge family farms. Alot of the farms have been sold off as towns/cities grow to make way for stores, apartment complexes and McMansions.

Skip and I used to live in Cookeville also. It's a college town that still has the "small town" touch. It's located pretty much half way between Nashville & Knoxville. It has grown in leaps and bounds in the time that I've lived here.

We were glad to find our rental out here in "cow country" 6 years ago as C'ville was getting too big for me (I never go to big towns/cities unless I absolutely have to). We pay $250 a month rent for an older, single-wide mobile home on about 2 acres. One downfall is a poor job market, locally as nuchickmama stated. Skip works in Smithville (45 minutes west of us) and makes around $12.00 an hour, good money for this area. One thing we love about this area is that we are close to several State Parks: Rock Island SP, Burgess Falls SP and Fall Creek Falls SP, just to name a few.

Sorry for rambling...

Dawn

Back
Top Bottom