Kentucky people

We are from Bowling Green/Edmonson county area. We have 14 different breeds of chickens! About 60 birds total! (& we got a little piggy!) Most are free range, we separate on occasion for breeding. We have a rainbow of eggs and a few to many roosters.
1f60a.png

Hello fellow Kentuckians! I'm pretty new here. Did a LOT of research in the forums when I first started this adventure in the spring, but haven't gotten around to joining in until now. We started our flock in May with 13 day-old-chicks and 6 more from TSC which was a complete disaster (we lost them all), restarted two weeks later with 15 day-old-chicks, followed by 6 more in June, and then 5 more babies in July. I knew about chicken math, but I didn't really "know" until now. Our coop is 90% complete - we still need to finish up the exterior (trim and paint) and get the nest boxes built and installed since we're getting really close to getting that first egg! All of chickens, with the exception of the littles, free range during the day with access to their coop and run. Right now we're battling with hawks who have managed to get two of our oldest pullets and one from the middle batch. The girls are getting better at taking cover under the pine trees and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we don't loose any more.

Currently we have Stella (Black Sex Link), Repeckah (Partridge Rock), Chicka (Columbian Rock), BILF (Cuckoo Maran), Wooster (Barred Rock), Terra (Barred Rock), Racer (Amberlink), Nugget (Red Cross), Cameron (Speckled Sussex), Omelet (Welsummer), Molly(Welsummer), Butterball (Easter Egger), Melvin (Easter Egger), Dottie (Austra White), Henretta (Silver Laced Wyandotte), Falconelly (Easter Egger), Red (Easter Egger), Stevie (Silver Gray Dorking), Bernice (Barnevelder), Sicilia (Sicilian Buttercup), Boots (Black Copper Maran) and a few without names yet (Silver Pencil Rock, Mystery Chick). As you can see, I wanted to try out all of the breeds! LOL!

Next on my list is a frizzle (but not a Cochin) and I really, really, really want a frizzled Turken. We're also looking at adding some more flighty birds to our flock to help with the hawks - hoping they might help warn the other girls. I've been toying with the idea of hatching some eggs in the spring. We only have room for a few more in the coop so I'm trying to fill those spots carefully.

I just moved to Lawrenceburg a little over a year ago! Nice to "meet" you LOL

Hi! We are looking to move to lawrenceburg ky in June 2017...we also have chickens. Lawrenceburg is a great place and we are very excited to be heading down there. We only have 4 chickens but have fallen in love with them. Just got our first eggs this past Sunday

New to this thread.. I live in Taylor County. Very center of this lovely state. Have 9 chicken right now. 2 white leghorns, 6 Cochins and one backyard mutt that's my baby.. Looking maybe to get some more chicks may if hubs agrees... Anyone near me with pullets or small chicks. Mine are 6-8 weeks old now. Prefer no roosters

Back
Top Bottom