Kentucky people

Hello everyone!!

My husband and I bought a home and 17 acres earlier this year in Calloway Co. I will be moving there permanently in January. My husband will be joining me after he returns from 1 last rotation overseas.

I have been a BYC member for a couple of years. I don't post much, mostly because by the time I get to a post that I could give my input, many others have already said all that needs to be said.

I did have a flock of 30 hens, 3 roosters and 3 ducks until recently. We had 3 coyote attacks in 2 weeks, 1 in broad daylight. Ended up losing over half my chickens and 1 duck. We sent the rest of the chickens to the freezer this past weekend. The ducks have a reservation for mid-November.
Anyways, I will be restarting my flock after I get my new coops and runs built.

We are wanting to become as self sufficient as possible with a large garden, chickens for both meat and eggs, a couple of cows, some pigs, and some goats.
We would also like to have a couple of horses.

Haha so, the chickens are Light Sussex chickens, not White Leghorns or Columbian Rocks. I finally asked my uncle, lol.

Here are more pictures!

beautiful male gray... believe he was bornin January. People dont real want him. His SISTER was hit by a car cross in our busy street.
we are trying to lure him into a dog carrier. was going to give him back to up the hill neighbor. Who has his parents now
But they act like they dont care and would take back HIM back to the Uncle (original owner I believe) who doesnt care
so am in Grayson county
anyone out there has a pond and secure coop for him and maybe a new HONEY
let me know thanks check out my thread on "GEESE called "geese wont go home" for the full story
thanks

I don't check in here much anymore, but I am in Lexington. I am subscribed to this post, but for some odd reason only get an occasional post sent my way. heritage RIRs and a few others in my backyard. My hens are getting some age on them, but too attached to make chicken and dumplings, so we are going to ride it out together. According to them, I am no spring chick myself.

I'm in Winchester! I've had my main 7 girls since April, added 3 (+2 guineas) in July, and lost my first one to some kind of predator just last week :-( I had always wanted chickens, but never imagined how much I would love having them! 5 more already on order for next spring!

Nice to meet you smarsh and RxBarbie!

Lol smarsh, well I'm sure they are glad that they won't be going to a pot! Maybe you will want some little chicks this spring to revitalize the flock... give the grannies some grandbabies!

RxBarbie, yay for some new spring chicks coming! I have my little order waiting to click buy on Meyers Hatchery, but I don't want to wait to get them until April, so I'm going to see if I can find someone to fill the rest of the 15 minimum for me, and I'll even keep their babies with mine until they don't need a heat lamp.....yeah I have serious chicken fever. I'm trying to find all sorts of work arounds to get my babies Feb 6th!

Hey everyone, I'm new to BYC, online and birds. I'm in Brooksville, KY in Bracken County. I just got five 4day old welsummer yesterday and am already in love with them! With KY's weather, is it still safe to move the babies to the coop around 7-8 weeks when they've feathered or do I need to take extra precautions. Welsummer are pretty hardy, and the coop is a brand new draft free coop.

Back
Top Bottom