Kentucky people

Good to hear little Frodo is doing okay.

Oh yeah Rhubarb and Asparagus! I wish I had some of the slips from my father's garden of those. All my veggies will be in raised beds as soon as I build them. The herbs I am going to grow in pots, and some of the vining fruits will be grown on trellises along the walkway. I know their are a couple of places on the web that sell heirloom seeds and starters, in fact I'll probably get a catalogue in the mail soon. It seems everyday I am getting them in the mail. HMM, just thought of something, I may plant a few corn seeds around the flagpole and let them grow up as something different in the front yard.
lau.gif

May do a few strawberries, rasberries, and some others too.

I'm here!!! Congrats on the hatching babies guys!!
big_smile.png

For my garden I so far have:
Sugar dots sweet corn
Squash (crookneck, butternut, zuchinni)
lettuce
bell peppers
broccoli
Sunflowers (mammoth, lemon queen, autumn beauty)
3 different types of pumpkin
5 different types of tomato (so far)
basil, oregano, cillantro, dill
1 bushel gourd seed (yes, only 1 seed!)
strawberries

On the way I have:
bush cucumbers
Blue Lake bush beans
2 more types of tomatoes
lima beans
spaghetti squash
And I should be getting some watermelon and onions, but I don't have them on my list
hmm.png
Not sure who I'm getting those from!

And that's not counting the flowers!! I have so many flower seeds, it's not even funny!!

I am also hoping to get some rhubarb, we used to have it at my mom's old house, and I miss it
sad.png

I didn't have very good luck with 'tubers' type things last year, cause this ground is soooooo hard!! I had carrots, radishes, onions that did no good at all
sad.png
I was wanting to get some potatoes this year, but idk. I think things like that would be a waste of time. I thought I had some cabbage, but I guess not.
hmm.png
That will go on my next shopping list, or I'll have to grab it when it comes up on the swap
big_smile.png

Chuck~~I would love some birdhouse gourds!! I'll have to get me some of those!

stupid BYC server is giving me fits

Ok, talked to my sister - gonna get a list tonight from her, but she is for sure bringing me some rhubarb and the comfrey and some ornamental grasses for shade for the ducks and the chicken run. She also has some of the double blossom hollyhocks (the really super dark burgundy ones) she is bringing me, said something about various daylilies, too.

I hauled out my seeds, and made a list of what I still need to get.

I was wanting to do potatoes, too, Shelley, I was thinking of doing them in a wire cage with straw - you make the big roundish cage for them, fill it with straw and plant them in that - then you just take it apart to harvest.
I had also thought about adding in some sand to the soil, to try to loosen it up a bit, not sure if that would help or hinder, though.

My onions, I was for sure going to put into containers, or at least plant them right into the potting soil bag - you just cut a hole and plant them right into the bag - and you punch holes in the bottom for drainage.
The onion fields I recall seeing up north had really super black soil, and they kept it moist, but not overly muddy - I am thinking planting them right into the soil bag will help with moisture and looser soil. I'll give it a try, can't be any worse than last year's crop of them.

With this clay soil I'll definately have to get creative with planting. I don't know how my neighbors do it - they've probably worked on that little garden plot for years to get it to where they can grow so much stuff.

eta - I have a packet of 50 birdhouse gourd seeds, too, I can let ya have some, I'm sure, Shelley

Last edited:
Yippee!! Birdhouse gourds are so cool!! Someone told me to mix sand and peat moss into the garden to help loosen the soil. I don't know if I'll be able to do that or not. I just hope it's not as dry this year as it was last
hmm.png

Forgot again!

Did you know that if you plant marigolds in your garden, it will help keep the bunnies away?

Or get some rabbit dogs to tie up around it
big_smile.png
We have 5 that need a new home
wink.png

Last edited:
See if your neighbors have a rototiller you can borrow or if they will till the ground for you themselves. Till first then spread your sand and till and then spread the peat moss or other compost and till that into the soil. The sand and peat moss and compost will break up the clay, make it better for growing things and will also improve the drainage.

I hope you have been composting the used bedding and poop from your coops and stalls. It has to have been composting for awhile though before you use it otherwise the nitrogen in the poop will burn the roots of the plants.

Whoo Dee Whoo..... I have a retired lady I have bee sellig eggs to. She works part time at a buffet restaurant. We talked this weeked and the owers wated some eggs also, so I gave her a dozen to try. She loved them, they are gona give me the scraps off buffet whe they close it dowm, pizza, bread, veggies, fruits, ad other assorted meats ad goodies. Well she dropped off a 5 gallo bucket today, wow my hes lover... Great change for them and heck of deal for 4 dozen eggs a week. Wow it is great to use something that would be getting threw away.

Winchester, Chesapeake Retriever. We had gotten him from another board member. From what we understand from our neighbor, someone in the area is collecting dogs and selling them at flea markets. She recovered one of her's that way. You really lose hope for humanity when people carry on this way.

Quote:
Ehats in there cage a cookie????????

lau.gif
no, I wet some food for them for a few days and it gets compacted - I have to go in and mix it up every few hours. I only did it to get Frodo to eat, but she is eating the dry this morning, so maybe I can stop the messy wet stuff.

Back
Top Bottom