Kentucky people

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Rooky1, Jan 16, 2007.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Oh, that's too bad that you only got 2 of the bantams to hatch. Those are so pretty! I have a pair of standard BR youngsters, and I am still undecided if I'll keep them or not. They are very pretty, but I just don't need 'egg layers'. I'm allergic to chicken eggs, so layers do me no good. That's what my quail are for [​IMG] But these guys are very pretty!

I have babies all over the place right now! I have 4 2-week-old tuxedo quail, 12 1-week-old pharaoh quail, brand new jumbo and A&M quail hatching right now (up to 4 last count! [​IMG]), I have a 4-day-old chick outside with its mama, a pipped chicken egg in the bator, 1 1-day-old golden lakenvelder chick in a brooder all alone, 6 4-week-old millie chicks in a different brooder, along with a 6-week-old ameraucana and a 6-week-old golden lakenvelder. That one is a boy, so I'm hoping the new lakenvelder is a girl [​IMG] And on top of all this? I have 40 more eggs (chicken) due to hatch in the next 3-5 days! [​IMG] Don't ask where I'm gonna put them all, cause I seriously don't know!! [​IMG]

2. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Ok, got some pics of TeaCake ---

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  3. Mojo Chick'n

He is a sweetie [​IMG]

I was out there scratching him all over [​IMG] I started at his neck and he kept inching his way across so I was scratching his sides, tummy, butt... [​IMG] he's a good boy.

the first pic is my favorite, too bad it didn't turn out better, he was touching noses with Butters.

[​IMG] second pic is Bruce telling him "NO" cause he tends to snap at men a bit - not mean, just to let them know he's a big man, too. We'll break him of that, though, if you tell him "No" he stops it. He just needs more attention, I think. btw, he's holding his cigarette out of TeaCake's reach, not raising his hand to him - you never hit a donkey - or they carry a grudge [​IMG]

4. Mojo Chick'n

Quote:No, I was gonna call her next week sometime. I figured not to call her on the weekend, not sure if she's hanging with her family or not, ya know [​IMG]

5. Mojo Chick'n

Quote:Yeah, Butters has a few spots - not enough (for me anyway) to call her spotted, and Mama is bred to a spotted - and should have been herself - her two full blood sisters are both spotted. Mama came out Dun colored, but she's pretty anyway.

Butters is just one year old this spring - too young to breed, but Mama can be bred back once she has her baby.

meri

6. Mojo Chick'n

Quote:I've been wanting a spotted mini jack for a long time, I got lucky to find such a sweet one. (and of breeding age and cheap, to boot!)

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Meri (or anyone else for that matter), do you garden? Anything, like herbs, flowers, veggies? There is a swap thread on the swaps forum for seeds. I have gotten (and sent) so many so far!!! It is a really good way to get a variety, without having to spend a fortune! It costs 1 stamp usually to send them. [​IMG]

8. Mojo Chick'n

Quote:I have seeds leftover from last year still - plus I have to get my sister to bring me some comfrey when she comes down in April [​IMG] I miss my comfrey plants I had to leave behind. Those we split by root, though, so they wouldn't mail well.

Good idea, though, for those who swap seeds. I have some seeds that I might be able to swap, question is, will I ever get planted the stuff I want to plant that I already have seeds for?

9. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Yes Shelley I garden also, I have planted Daylillies, Irises, Roses, Clematis, Lilacs, Hostas, Peonies, Dianthus, Marigolds, Cana Lillies, Hibiscus, Glads,and Mugo piines, those are in the front yard. In the backyard I will section off an area, put in raised beds and fencing around it to keep the dogs and other critters out of it.

I will plant my herbs, beans, carrots, corn, squash, pumpkins, maybe some radishes, turnips, tomatoes, and peas.

Along the brick walkway in the backyard I intend on building a series of trellises and will use those for grapes and the vining veggies.

I saw the swap, but I already got my seeds.

10. kycowgirlchick

kycowgirlchick Chillin' With My Peeps

I bet alot more people will be gardening this year. We always have a vegetable garden and plan on expanding it this year. We share a garden with my in laws. My father n law likes to hoe???? He will stop by daily for a 15 minute hoe.
    I also have lots of flowers. The only seeds I would have are holly hocks. They are in a little flower bed in front of my barn. They are really pretty up on the barn.
    It wont be long to start. I cant wait until spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by