Kentucky people

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Rooky1, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I have to call Cackle tomorrow, to try and narrow down a date for ship from them - they said Mid March. Chick days is also gonna be mid March, so I'm wondering how I'll fit everyone in, too (plus the two incubators I got going [​IMG]...) I may have to haul the Playpen back inside for awhile. Makes it hard to walk in the room with it in there, but it works great for larger numbers of chicks (or maybe call duck babies if any of them hatch for me [​IMG] )

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I hope they hatch for you!! I have a few more days till all my bators are empty, or at least mostly empty, then I can set the silkie and ducks eggs I have been saving. I'm saving some millie eggs from that girl I got from Cindy too, so we'll see how those go. She doesn't show any signs of being sick, so I don't know if hers will be okay or not. Heck, for all I know, it could all be caused by ammonia! They are where Horton was, and the bunnies are, so I'm sure it is pretty stinky in there! Horton got kicked out of the building. Dad couldn't figure out why Horton wouldn't go outside through the 'door' he had made for him. Well, we have had him since he was 3 weeks old, and he has been in the building the whole time! Poor little guy was probably scared to death! But he is liking his 'new' home, and he has a HUGE dog house to sleep in, so I think he is happy. Happier, anyway. He has some clean [​IMG] mud to root in!

I found 3 duck eggs today!! 3 pekin and one from the rouen girl, I'm almost positive. The cayugas kind of hang off by themselves, so if she is laying, she's probably hiding them somewhere! They don't like the other ducks very much! Snobby cayugas!

But I just yesterday got my swap eggs from pidgey, 7 ducks and 6 chickens, so I need some more room!! And with my quail hatching, I'll have that bator empty. I'm thinking I might just use it for the ducks, and the other for the chicks, for now. I can switch the hova's turner to have chicken and quail racks both in it, so I'll have room for those button eggs you gave me.

3. Mojo Chick'n

I set one bator Feb 16th and the other the 19th. It's gonna be close [​IMG] I may have to take the turner out of one bator to have enough hatching room.

You know how nice and clean the duck coop was the other day? they already have it all wet and smelly. Come on good weather so I can build that dang duck pen!!!!! I opened a couple of windows on them today - even if it is a bit cold they need the fresh air coming in there. The windows are higher up, anyway, so the fresh air will hopefully come in and drift down, and not blow on them.

The other day when you saw it, I had just put the new bedding in the day before, it didn't take them long to yuck it up. I have one last bag of the bedding pellets, I am gonna toss that in there today, at least around the water dishes, to help soak up some of the dampness.

Oh, I found an ad for this hatchery up north a ways - they are selling large breed chicks (I'll have to call to ask what breeds) for like 20 bucks for 50 and 30-35 bucks per hundred!! Heck, for that price I could buy a buttload and re-sell them. They don't have a website, but they do credit cards or C.O.D. !! I didn't think anyone did COD anymore. I think they're in PA.

I got some phone calls to make tomorrow, I guess.

4. Mojo Chick'n

Quote:No idea, the ad was small (it's in the back of the Kentucky magazine thingy the RECC sends out).

I'll call them tomorrow and give some details when I get them.

I'm thinking if they're a mixed bag I'll get 100 (plus 10 free, the ad says) of them and take em to Sano. Even if I sold them for a buck each I'd make some cash off them.

[​IMG] or maybe I can buy 300 and sell em to TSC - they were wanting 100's of chicks for Chick Days from folks to sell at the store.

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Mojo Chick'n :

Quote:No idea, the ad was small (it's in the back of the Kentucky magazine thingy the RECC sends out).

I'm thinking if they're a mixed bag I'll get 100 (plus 10 free, the ad says) of them and take em to Sano. Even if I sold them for a buck each I'd make some cash off them.

[​IMG] or maybe I can buy 300 and sell em to TSC - they were wanting 100's of chicks for Chick Days from folks to sell at the store.

I know!! I was thinking that myself! [​IMG] I wonder how much TSC pays for the chicks? Did they tell you when you asked about it?​

6. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    Oh dear! Easter is April 12th.

Let's see... I need to hatch out about 1 week prior so that's April 5th.

21 days prior is March 15th.

Rats!... ... ... I cannot squeeze in two hatches before then.

Let's see... what if... Good Friday... that would be the March 19th to set... Still not enough time...

Oh well.... I have eggs on order to arrive sometime this week. So... let's say I set them on Friday the 6th. Hatch somewhere around the 27th... They will be about 2 weeks old at Easter.

Ehh... They will still be cute and probably hardy enough that people shouldn't accidently kill them. I have neighbors and others who want chicks. Just because they look cute. Ha... I will probably have to take them back once they see and smell the little poops for a while.

Just thought I'd think out loud... [​IMG]

Except they're not getting the ones I ordered. I'll have to test hatch some of my own.

Well, Speaking of hatching my own. I took a NH roo over and put him with the girls and he didn't know what to do, but the two Jersey roos who were caged behind chicken wire decided that they did; and ended up comming through the chicken wire. So what do I find... The NH roo in the Roo cage hiding from the bigger and older Jersey roos and the two Jersey roos in with the hens, showing him how it's done. Rats... [​IMG] So much for pure bred NH's for now.

Thicker wire... bigger nails. Thicker wire ... bigger nails. Thicker wire bigger nails. [​IMG]

I found a picture of a feeder I liked the design of so I build one yesterday and hung it on the wall. We'll see how it works out. I usually have to make two or three just to get the design worked out to where both I and the chickens like it.

Please stay tuned for future adventures in the never ending saga of "As the Roo Crows". [​IMG]

7. Mojo Chick'n

I know!! I was thinking that myself! [​IMG] I wonder how much TSC pays for the chicks? Did they tell you when you asked about it?

No, she didn't say, but if you call them, you could probably find out.

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    estpr13!!!! [​IMG] Only you!! [​IMG] I can't believe the roos went through the wire???????????? OMG, they must be huge!!!

I let Easter sneak up on me too! I was planning on putting my bunnies 'together' so I would have some teeny tiny babies for Easter. Well, I just yesterday did, so they'll be a little late [​IMG] Maybe not though, as my mini rex buck keeps jumping the divider every time I feed them! I still don't think he has ever 'gotten' her though. Not even yesterday when I purposely put them together! I still have to breed my dutch doe, so her turn is today. I didn't want my other buck to overdo it, and give himself a heart attack or something!

9. Mojo Chick'n

Well, gonna get off here for awhile. I need to go put pellets into the duckling coop - maybe dry up the stink a bit.

The other duck hen never did lay her egg today, so I let them out to play a bit. stoop!d stubborn duck.

later all -

meri

10. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    Quote:Yep... They didn't exactly go throught the wire as push it loose from the boards and squeeze out. They must have been hitting it pretty hard trying to fight throught the wire. One Jersey roo is hanging up high on a perch with the two older girls and the other one with the blackened comb and wattles from dried blood is pacing the deep litter with the younger girls.
    These are my egg layers. [​IMG]

My meat chickens and younger ones are in a different pen and so far are doing okay. The three Del x Cornish roos are starting to hassle the younger roos.

My hatch on the 26 is over. I still have the eggs in the bator just in case but I only got 2 of 8 of the banty barred rock to hatch out. They were my primary concern. I hope they are a pair.

I did get 11 of 12 of the full size barred rocks to hatch out. But I got them kind of like packing peanuts for the bantams to help keep them warm and to check on my bator. So... I don't think it was my bator. Probably the cold got to the smaller eggs.

They all seem to be healthy and energetic. They are eating sleeping drinking and pooping just like healty chicks should. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by