Kentucky people

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Rooky1, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Well, Miss Piggy is trying to go broody again. She's the hen that hatched out the eggs from Cindy (the olive eggers).

If she sticks with it, I may try to stick some duck eggs under her [​IMG] see if she'll hatch those. At least I'll be able to tell the difference between those and any extras the other hens lay under her. Or maybe I ought to stick the jumbo quail eggs under her [​IMG] that would be funny.

Her own eggs aren't fertile, so I know she'll snatch anyone else's eggs she can get.

silly chicken.

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    How long do calls take again? Is it 24 days? That should be okay. If they were regular ducks, though, I would put some that were already in the bator, in case she has an 'auto' timer! Some hens (I have heard) will set 21 days and give up.

She should be able to hatch the quail just fine! What kind of bird is she again? If she is a smaller type, she would be able to brood them too, you'd just have to keep her and babies in a cage, or the babies would get lost. If she is bigger, you would have to take the babies away. Nest time junior sits, you should give her some quail eggs! I'm going to use my broodies for hatching the eggs I want, and the quail eggs this year [​IMG]

3. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Quote:Thanks Shelley. I'll check on them tomorrow, I dopn't want to disturb them this late at night.

4. Mojo Chick'n

Quote:She's a red sexlink - so a full sized girl, but not huge like the brahmas or the australorps. I would have to put her in a cage, cause part of the problem last time was everyone coming and laying MORE eggs under her, so she had too many to cover. I'm sure that's why I only had three hatch out of 8 eggs (that and the cold).

Another option would be try to move her to the middle coop with the call ducks and BC. At least there she could sit and not be bothered by the other hens, if I shut the door during the day. I know BC wouldn't bother her at all, and the ducks stay on the floor.

I'm gonna make the ducks stay in tomorrow until BOTH girls lay their eggs. The Khaki girl lays early morning, so it's always there when I come to let them out - but the blue girl waits til she goes out, and I haven't found her egg yet today - if she eventually laid one. She didn't lay in that tree, even though she was sitting in there for a long time. I even dug around in the soft fluffy stuff, and she didn't bury it, either.

5. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Quote:What are you putting in? [​IMG]

I really want some more EE chicks, or some Polish or Houdan chicks. I'm probably going to special order some EE's with TSC, but I realllly want Houdans...the hatchery TSC orders from doesn't have cresteds.

6. Mojo Chick'n

Ok, Miss Piggy is broody for sure, so I put the 8 Call Duck eggs I set on friday (in the incubator) under her, plus two more I've collected the last two days. Hope she hatches some [​IMG]

I still have 7 call duck eggs in the other incubator.

I let the new donkey out of the corral this morning. He tried to gather the mares he had chosen while "window shopping" from his pen. Namely, Mama , Butters and Spooky (Spooky is still young, so is short enough for him, he figured [​IMG] ) He didn't have any luck gathering them up, but it was funny to watch him try.

He then decided to go for the bigger girls, and Juju has been chasing him away from Mojo (the only mare he cares about) so that has gotten them all some needed excercise, also.

Maggie decided to chase him a few rounds of the pasture just because she felt like it. Poor little guy, he just wants some women!! [​IMG] Nibbler just came over to me to be scratched behind the ears - she didn't care one way ro the other who was chasing whom [​IMG] .

I been thinking of calling him TeaCake. Cause A) he's sweet and B) he looks like a little frosted cupcake with sprinkles on it.

meri

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yesterday was day 15 on my quail. Actually, day 16 started around 10pm last night. So I get up this morning and remember that I should have moved them off the turner. Oh well, no big deal, right? WRONG!!! I opened the bator to find 2 baby A&M quail trying their best to get unstuck from around it!! Plus there were probably a good 20 more pips!! [​IMG] So looks like I got those brooders just in time!! [​IMG]

8. Mojo Chick'n

Quote:[​IMG] yeah, I guess so.

Have you got room in the hatching room for all of them though? That is the real question [​IMG]

9. Mojo Chick'n

It seems like of my baby ducks the girls are getting their feathers faster than the boys (the black girls, anyway). It is a lot easier to tell what their patterns will be - a lot of them I thought would be "black swedish" are turning out black splash, but they are SO pretty!!!

Oh, and that one black with the weird crest (the two tufts sticking out at dif angles) still has them both sticking out [​IMG] I thought it might be a fluke and it would come off when his feathers started to come in.
    One tuft is on top like it ought to be, and the other is sticking out the side of his head [​IMG]

Tyler, this one is different from the two crested blues I am keeping for you. Don't worry those two have normal crests.

It's gonna be hard to take so many of these babies to the auction.

meri

10. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Mojo Chick'n :

Quote:[​IMG] yeah, I guess so.

Have you got room in the hatching room for all of them though? That is the real question [​IMG]

Probably not!! But I have at least 50 of them sold already, so I won't have to worry about it too long!! Plus, the pharaohs are just about a week younger than the tuxedos, so I could probably put them all together. Especially since there are more pharaohs than tuxedos. They probably won't like it, but they'll get over it!

I also am going to move the big chicks off the porch and put the little chicks that are inside out there. So with the older quail in my bathroom, and the chicks out of the house, that should clear out enough room for everyone! I hope!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by