Kentucky people

Quote:
What type of hive are you planning on using and where are you getting your bees? My husband has plans for a top bar hive that I believe he is going to be building in a couple weeks. I have not decided on buying a swarm or trying to lure a swarm. I read about luring but thats a bit iffy.

Mrs. Turbo :

Quote:
what is he selling that is $10?

Sounds like corn, wish I could find it for that cheap! I get 100# of ground corn for $12.50 (I think it's $13 something now, keeps going up), $10 would be great! I spend $50-$70 a week on feed depending on who's out--$50 gets enough feed for just the chickens for a week
th.gif
But that's 300# of feed for $50, averaging 17 cents a pound, so not too bad I guess. 100# of ground corn, 100# 20% layer pellets, and 100# 20% medicated chick starter. The chick starter is the most expensive at $10 per 50#.​

We just drove 1.5 hours to Pendelton Kentucky and bought 100 lb bags for $10. I could only get 6 bags in though. I was hoping for more but ....

I just went to the feed mill the other day and paid $9 for a 50 lb bag and I asked about discounts for bulk and was told their margin was not high enough to do that. Its just gotten too expensive. I gotta buy direct if I can.

Last edited:
I just discovered this Kentucky section of BackYardChickens and hoped maybe I could find someone who has what I need at a reasonable price.
I'm in Greensburg, south central, and could travel a fair distance to pick up, but couldn't make the trip to the extreme Western or Eastern Kentucky.

I'm looking for some Black Jersey Giants or Dark Brahma hens, and some Buff Orpingtons.

The Buff hens can be any age, reasonably young, but out of a brooder and in no need of extra heat. I also need a good mature "mannerly" rooster or two though. My oldest rooster died on us this winter and the young one is all I have left. It would put the flock in a bad way if anything happened to him. What I would like to find are roosters already familiar with a "multi-rooster" flock and not used to being the only one around? It is hard on them all when one moves in used to being alone. They interfere with any breeding of any hen and fight among themselves rather than making chicks. If anyone kept back some rooster prospects this year and found they had more than they needed, I'd appreciate a chance at buying a couple.

The Brahmas and Jerseys do need to be all hens for taking to my Buff rooster for some heavy crossbred meat chicks. Again, they need to be old enough to be taken by a good sized Buff Orpington without injury.

I am also in need of a male Pilgrim goose.

I got hold of a small flock of geese and in it are 3 great Pilgrim girls. I'd like to find a purebred male for them. They came with a male that appears to be a cross between Chinese Weeder and African, with all the "attitude" a mix like that entails. Though he'll breed them, I need to work on a pure line. The Pilgrims are in low supply and purebred goslings of Pilgrims are gender-identifiable at hatch. My girls would do better helping to increase the breeding population rather than hatching out meat birds. I have one Toulouse girl to do that.

If anyone has what I am looking for and would sell them, or knows someone that might have them for sale, I'd appreciate a contact on it.

Thank you,
Phyllis

Hey fellow Kentuckians!

Just wanted to ley you know I will be putting my first ever clutch in a Brinsea Oct. ECO tommorow
smile.png
There are 8 BLR and some mixes. The BLR eggs are from my 2 pullets I got from Mrs Foley and the roo(Constantine) is from Gretchen Bare.

mame1616- Constantine's fertility is great! he is a little out numbered(16-1
hmm.png
) he hit the bullseye 8 for 10 last time we had eggs for breakfast
smile.png

Heather- I have 3 bluish- splash ee bantams that need to go, not sure how old they are maybe 1 or 2, not real old, but the 2 hens lay green eggs. I live right on I-64, so if you happen to make a trip up through here... They have to go to make room for chicks. pm me if you interested
smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=260313&p=553 - link to pics of my ee trio
cool.png

Quote:
I'll get back with you on the EE bantam's. My son loves bantams but I do l ove EE's. I have one blue and one bluish/greenish/khaki colored layer. I am trying to make my to do list for this year on the farm and its already pretty long. I am thinking our bantam cages might just get a mini expansion rather than a rebuild. Economy has me too worried to put too much money into a fancy coop right now. So I have to pick and choose from my poultry list on what I really want to add. EE's are at the top of that list. My 2 are about the sweetest things ever. I am even considering getting an ee roo for them I love them so much.

The hubbies job situation settled and I have a few leads on part time jobs so hopefully plans are getting back into place. I might be pming people about splitting orders again or just raising them all and selling the extra's. I have no clue. We are trying to get fencing strung up and a cow barn build on a super tight budget. Sell a house, build a new house, and get this farm acting like a real farm. My mind is all twisted in knots trying to sort through everything I think we need to get finished.

Hey anybody heard about the big fire in Possum that killed 11,000 chickens. The barn went on fire. I just read about it online. I hadn't heard anything about it. I feel so sorry for those people. They were planning on shipping out the birds next week. The fire dept., said it was the worst fire they'd seen in 30 years and it was still smoldering this morning. Anybody have any updates or anything?

Quote:
I always have buff orps but I usually get rid of them while they are chicks. At the moment I have a few that are getting reay to come out of the brooder and go outside. This time of year it is tough to sell any birds so if you let me know how large you want them I will get back with you when they reach that size.

Back
Top Bottom