Kentucky people

I live in Cadiz, KY and travel to eastern ky(Ashland) often to see my family. I will be building a coop within a few months so will be needing some chicks in the near future!

My hubby, myself, our two year old daughter and baby on the way live on 11 acres in Stamping Ground. My mother has decided that adding a few laying hens to the batch of animals we already have would be a little money saver for us. On the 11 acres my husband and I live on one end and at the other end my mother and father have their house. We have 5 acres fenced that houses my quarter horse and a miniature donkey which is his pasture buddy, 3 dogs which consist of a German Shepherd, Welsh Pembroke Corgi and a Chihuahua (hubby's dog)rr. There's also 3 cats at my house and my parents have two cats and a Rottweiler pup. Since the chicken idea has popped up I've been researching trying to find out as much information as I possibly can about them. Our Tractor Supply in georgetown is selling chicks right now and my husband and I went the other day to look. They had Bantams and Comet chicks, said there would be more breeds coming within the next week or so. From what I've read the Comets would be a nice fit for us as far as the eggs went. Glad to be on BYC and hope to learn as much as I can about poultry.

My hubby, myself, our two year old daughter and baby on the way live on 11 acres in Stamping Ground. My mother has decided that adding a few laying hens to the batch of animals we already have would be a little money saver for us. On the 11 acres my husband and I live on one end and at the other end my mother and father have their house. We have 5 acres fenced that houses my quarter horse and a miniature donkey which is his pasture buddy, 3 dogs which consist of a German Shepherd, Welsh Pembroke Corgi and a Chihuahua (hubby's dog)rr. There's also 3 cats at my house and my parents have two cats and a Rottweiler pup. Since the chicken idea has popped up I've been researching trying to find out as much information as I possibly can about them. Our Tractor Supply in georgetown is selling chicks right now and my husband and I went the other day to look. They had Bantams and Comet chicks, said there would be more breeds coming within the next week or so. From what I've read the Comets would be a nice fit for us as far as the eggs went. Glad to be on BYC and hope to learn as much as I can about poultry.
frow.gif
Welcome! We're glad you've joined us.

Welcome. If I may, I would suggest getting Leghorns. They are very productive with laying, are flighty so they fare well being free ranged. They come in several varieties, and two different comb styles. My Grandad has always had them, and I have yet to see a breed match their egg production. They also thrive here in KY, they can take the cold and the heat/humidity well.

~Casey

I also have Pembroke Welsh Corgis!! Beautiful dogs with lots of personality!

Back
Top Bottom