Kentucky people

Hello Everyone!
I am in Breckinridge County but work in Louisville. I started spring of 2012 with RIR and sex links and love them. Bought 2 EEs at the KY state fair this past August and one disappeared last week. :(. I feel bad because the other is all alone (the others ignore her, as chickens do). I am looking for more but having little luck, at least finding any nearby. I really wanted EE's or at least a different breed. I have found a lady in Shelbyville willing to sell me some about a year old, but no EE's. seeing more and more chickens in suburb-ia in Louisville!!

Hello all. I have just recently moved to Elizabethtown after a fairly rough divorce. I left the house and of course my coop to the ex in Eastern, Tn. I'll be working on modifying an area of an old barn here on the property this winter so I can get back to the joy of chickens again. I'm fairly experienced in raising chickens so hopefully I can contribute to this forum.

Sorry to hear about the divorce. It has been 7 years ago today for me :-( The nice thing about having chickens, is that they demand very little from you. Never have a harsh word to say, and always appreciate what you give them. So I hope you have many good times enjoying your birds. Lord knows I do. PS welcome to BYC's.

Thanks

Yea..its been a big change with just me and my GSD now, but we'll get through it ok I guess. The sooner I get back to chickens the better probably :)

P.S. Because of the predator risk and barn location 500 feet away from the house I will probably end up going with rose comb brown leghorns. Not my first choice of breeds but they are extremely good at protecting themselves and free range very well. So if anyone knows of any breeders near this area it would be a great help. Or if I have to get them from Murray in the early spring and anyone wants to split an order then also let me know.

Last edited:
Bairo, you might try and pick up some cull game hens. This time of year the breeders are deciding who gets to stay the winter. Usually the games are high$, but you can luck out. I just had a fellow offer me 10 hens at $2-3 each here in Estill. Once you get your regular layers, the games will brood for you. Any resulting crosses will be super hardy.

Last edited:
Been a bit since I've shown up in the thread. I'm from the Northern area. Along 75 right in the middle between Covington and Lexington. I have Buckeyes and La Flèche. This Spring I will likely have a lot of culls that will be sold cheap(probably $5 each at young ages). I doubt I will hatch enough Buckeyes to really sell to anyone, my Uncle and friend will probably receive everything out of those culls. But I will have(should have) plenty of La Flèche culls. They are a breed I just got into this past weekend and plan on big hatches for several years until they start to look better.

The below link has information on NPIP testing for KY. There is a number at the bottom of the list that you can call
For more information, please contact your NPIP program coordinator with the Kentucky Department of
Agriculture.
Sue Blair, Central Kentucky (502)-229-7073

http://www2.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/Factsheets/NPIP_summary_regs.pdf

I'll add in, this is her email. [email protected]

Last edited:
hello all! I live in WV but work in KY. I'm looking for breeders of LF cochins for early spring hatch. :0) I have a mixed flock...working on an olive egg project but I really love the cochins personality so im switching a few gears. :0) I also raise ancona ducks.

Back
Top Bottom