Kentucky people

Thanks for the advice everyone. Astralorps as well as the Buff Orpingtons sounds great! I can get 3 different breeds with a 15 order. I notice most places have a 5 min per breed.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Astralorps as well as the Buff Orpingtons sounds great! I can get 3 different breeds with a 15 order. I notice most places have a 5 min per breed.
Before you go with the heavy breeds like the Buff Orpingtons or Black Australians please be aware that they really struggle in the heat and humidity. You will need to take extra care of them when it is very hot, like above 80 degrees in order to keep them from suffering and perhaps expiring. Just a heads up.

Thanks for the advice everyone.  Astralorps as well as the Buff Orpingtons sounds great!   I can get 3 different breeds with a 15 order.   I notice most places have a 5 min per breed. 

Not sure how close you are or if you have a rural king around you but they have chicks right now. All the breeds you are talking about with a minimum purchase of 4 chicks. They look good and are very fat chicks. I have a 9 ee chicks i have picked up in the last week. I like them for the colored eggs and the beautiful colors they come in. I do have a hard time keeping them in the run at times, the netting across the top falls in at times and they do fly out.

Not sure how close you are or if you have a rural king around you but they have chicks right now. All the breeds you are talking about with a minimum purchase of 4 chicks. They look good and are very fat chicks. I have a 9 ee chicks i have picked up in the last week. I like them for the colored eggs and the beautiful colors they come in. I do have a hard time keeping them in the run at times, the netting across the top falls in at times and they do fly out.

Can you recommend a good source for Silkies in Kentucky? Cute chick by the way!)

Let's see a show of hands - Who is ready for SPRING? Now!?

Depending on where we measure we have from 12-18" of snow on the ground, mostly from Monday. I took 5 birds out of a brood pen and put them back with the flock for warmth. Heated water bowl is deployed, fresh straw in thick. Yesterday I piled snow all around the coop and run for insulation against the severe cold

Last edited:
i have had enough
I have a heat lamp in the coop that the starlings have discovered, I can't keep them out during the day, no matter how many you bash in the head, poor things

Depending on where we measure we have from 12-18" of snow on the ground, mostly from Monday.  I took 5 birds out of a brood pen and put them back with the flock for warmth.  Heated water bowl is deployed, fresh straw  in thick. Yesterday I piled snow all around the coop and run for insulation against the severe cold

I am definitely ready for spring.
1f615.png
I know there is a purpose for winter but I don't like it.

Depending on where we measure we have from 12-18" of snow on the ground, mostly from Monday.  I took 5 birds out of a brood pen and put them back with the flock for warmth.  Heated water bowl is deployed, fresh straw  in thick. Yesterday I piled snow all around the coop and run for insulation against the severe cold

I'll raise my hand! Here a couple of weeks ago I thought we might have an early spring...NOT!!!

Okay...love winter (downtime), love snow (pretty & white) but now officially over it! @Smarsh I've had the same prob with those %^&$ cow birds. I saw my sweet little momma hen finally get fed up and really kick some tail feathers the other day. Go Nugget! And I'm antsy as heck waiting on our new arrivals. Next Tuesday should be the day! At that time I will probably have THE most bizzaro flock on all of BYC. What can I say...I love diversity! Spring fever has definitely set in.

Back
Top Bottom