Kentucky people

Hi there! My family and I are up in Northern ky in Germantown (tiny little place) about 30 mins outside of Maysville. We're on 160 acres with a TON of chickens. (All in chicken tractors)
Are u raising meat birds? Or are they for eggs? I am interested in getting some meat birds and trying them in chicken tractors behind my Longhorn cows.

Hey there everyone! We are moving to Allen County Kentucky within the next few months an intend to raise chickens. Any and all help is appreciated! If there are local breeders near my location, please feel free to send me your info! Thank you in advance!

Are u raising meat birds? Or are they for eggs? I am interested in getting some meat birds and trying them in chicken tractors behind my Longhorn cows.
We do both. We're running Cornish cross in a chicken tractor in one of our fields currently. We run all our birds in tractor style coops though for the free range aspect bit with the safety of the voop from predators.

View attachment 2752758 BC6AEF41-7008-417E-A851-813FB9759743.jpeg
982B168E-5462-4E3A-9768-04C747AA9A88.jpeg
Need to sell or Best offer $10.00 each. 1-2 years 2 hens and a duck. 1 Australorp, 1 Barred Rock, and 1 Rouen. All good layers. Large brown eggs and green egg from duck.

I'm moving to South Central Kentucky from Northern Utah at the beginning of August. I would love any tips for raising poultry in the area. Also I was thinking if I could get any leads on any local well bred chickens it might be fun to invest a bit more than going the feed store route this time. Getting chickens is one of our first priorities after we move in. Since we sold ours in preparation for moving we have had to suffer through store bought eggs and it simply isn't very nice. Looking forward to making Kentucky home and it will be good to be back down south since I'm originally for Georgia and Texas.

I'm moving to South Central Kentucky from Northern Utah at the beginning of August. I would love any tips for raising poultry in the area. Also I was thinking if I could get any leads on any local well bred chickens it might be fun to invest a bit more than going the feed store route this time. Getting chickens is one of our first priorities after we move in. Since we sold ours in preparation for moving we have had to suffer through store bought eggs and it simply isn't very nice. Looking forward to making Kentucky home and it will be good to be back down south since I'm originally for Georgia and Texas.
Oh my goodness! I am originally from Utah and also lived in Georgia but have lived in Kentucky for the last 15 years! Welcome to the Bluegrass state! No canyons like Utah or humidity like Georgia, but we sure come close. I am just astonished at the slight coincidence here haha.

As far as tips go, I live in Louisville and would say this summer has been absolutely sweltering and miserable. But I found that when my chicks were still in the brooder stage and adjusted to dirt outside, I would take them outside for supervised playtime a little longer each day to help them acclimate to the heat. Water with ice was always available along with a fan in a nice shaded area where they would dust bathe was helpful. Now my chicken babies are teenagers and stay outside now and never seem bothered with the dreadful heat and humidity. I also like to make watermelon bowls for them. Which, in case you didn't already know, is a half of a watermelon with some of the middle hollowed out. I add whole berries and greens or herbs in the center, fill it with water and freeze it. The chickens love it as a nice treat and it keeps them cool. Frozen fruits and vegetables work just as well. Or even the same in muffin pans with water to freeze.

I hope your move went well! I got my chicks at Tractor Supply and I was told they receive their babies from local breeders. All six of my girls are in healthy, thriving condition and just a joy to be around. Good luck and I'm sure there'll be some house with a sign for fresh farm eggs wherever you are! I'm happy to help if you need anything.

Oh my goodness! I am originally from Utah and also lived in Georgia but have lived in Kentucky for the last 15 years! Welcome to the Bluegrass state! No canyons like Utah or humidity like Georgia, but we sure come close. I am just astonished at the slight coincidence here haha.

As far as tips go, I live in Louisville and would say this summer has been absolutely sweltering and miserable. But I found that when my chicks were still in the brooder stage and adjusted to dirt outside, I would take them outside for supervised playtime a little longer each day to help them acclimate to the heat. Water with ice was always available along with a fan in a nice shaded area where they would dust bathe was helpful. Now my chicken babies are teenagers and stay outside now and never seem bothered with the dreadful heat and humidity. I also like to make watermelon bowls for them. Which, in case you didn't already know, is a half of a watermelon with some of the middle hollowed out. I add whole berries and greens or herbs in the center, fill it with water and freeze it. The chickens love it as a nice treat and it keeps them cool. Frozen fruits and vegetables work just as well. Or even the same in muffin pans with water to freeze.

I hope your move went well! I got my chicks at Tractor Supply and I was told they receive their babies from local breeders. All six of my girls are in healthy, thriving condition and just a joy to be around. Good luck and I'm sure there'll be some house with a sign for fresh farm eggs wherever you are! I'm happy to help if you need anything.
Thank you! The move is still a bit ongoing due to some drama with the title on the house we were originally going to purchase fortunately we got out of that deal and have a property we will close on on Monday so nearly there. Of course I'm already thinking about where to have the chickens live. One question I did have is if TSC or Rural King have chicks available in the Fall? I did some fall chicks last year and it worked out pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom