Kentucky people

Hello to all. I've just joined after trying to find out if anf how I should stop my hen from broodiness. I have 2 roosters, 7 hens, and 9 pullets. Running alittle short of space. I have in the works a PVC chicken tractor to add to the big coop and the semi-portable 12x12 pullet coop.

She was such a mom a hate to make her stop. I do have a few male pullets that I could eat eventually. But what I am thinking is to fence the creek bed area (where piker bushes grow) and have the chickens clean out that area this winter. I sell a few eggs to friends. But really I just love my chickens. The more the merrier.

I also have been gathering used fence, hog panel, wood... but they need to be kept in a cage cause of dogs and coyotes.

Any ideas on cheaply covering the top area of the coop? I have some hospital draw cutrains.

I am excited to learn my way around the website gather tried chicken works.

No computer at my house so I'm not on everyday.

Myself. I am from from Wausau, WI and have live in KY the last 15 years on 11 acres. Total goal.. self sustained, off the grid. I work, Radiation Therapist till then.

Keep up the good work and I hope to have a picture and signature soon. Christine
smile.png

Well, as I suspected, DD was just earning her name... she's back this morning, looks fine. I have no idea where she slept last night, but she and Joe were out playing by the pool this morning when I got up.

meri

Ok, DD update....

silly duck is sitting on 7 eggs in the calf pen - hiding in a corner in the tallest grass there (it isn't very tall, but tall enough it hide her). I put a gate across there so the calf won't come and step on her.

I don't like the idea of her nesting outside the pen, but at least she's surrounded by calves and donkeys, so she may be more protected than I think.

I thought she had stopped laying, since it got so hot - guess she fooled me. Would be cool if she hatched them - next spring I'm definately locking the calls up during breeding season, so I can make sure they set eggs in the pen and not out in the woods or something.

So, if she stays alive, and hatches those babies, they ought to be due around August 16th/17th or so.

She needs to learn from Jr, and set eggs in the barn behind the hardest to move thing in there - so no one can get to them, not even me
lau.gif

meri (who has yet to make dinner - just finished two calf stalls, because we got another calf today - brings us up to 4 calves.)

gonna go make tacos, now.

Shelley, sorry to hear about the pup, hope you find him okay. As to the injured hawk, it could be a juvenile that fell from the nest. I don't think they get the red tail on them until after they molt the juvenile feathers.

Hopefully the silkie and the other birds will show up for you. If it was a yote, they usually leave some sort of sign, and it could also possible have been a fox. They are much sneakier than yotes.

checking in....

Miss Piggy has hatched three of her eggs so far today... can't recall exactly how many she had, I think she had 9 eggs or so, though, hope more of them hatch for her.

Michelle still hasn't had her baby, but she looks like she is gonna bust open, poor girl, must be uncomfortable.

lau.gif
and Maggie has come back into heat already (after her miscarriage) and TeaCake is trying his best to reach that high... I told him yesterday I'd buy him a step stool if he wanted.

meri

Mojo Chick'n :

checking in....

Miss Piggy has hatched three of her eggs so far today... can't recall exactly how many she had, I think she had 9 eggs or so, though, hope more of them hatch for her.

Michelle still hasn't had her baby, but she looks like she is gonna bust open, poor girl, must be uncomfortable.

lau.gif
and Maggie has come back into heat already (after her miscarriage) and TeaCake is trying his best to reach that high... I told him yesterday I'd buy him a step stool if he wanted.

meri

Ooh the mental image!
gig.gif

I just had the Lexington building inspector show up at my door. They had a complaint about my chickens! All of our neighbors are friends with us and seem to like the birds. I'm thinking maybe it was the new neighbors who just moved in next door from New York. They don't seem friendly at all...I'm thinking this is their first time in the south and they don't realize how nice people here are. We are on a first name basis with most of our block in both directions...

Anyway, I'm annoyed that someone would complain to the city for no reason and not just say something to me first.
somad.gif

Mojo Chick'n :

checking in....

lau.gif

meri

You think Michelle may have twins?​

Quote:
Ooh the mental image!
gig.gif

I just had the Lexington building inspector show up at my door. They had a complaint about my chickens! All of our neighbors are friends with us and seem to like the birds. I'm thinking maybe it was the new neighbors who just moved in next door from New York. They don't seem friendly at all...I'm thinking this is their first time in the south and they don't realize how nice people here are. We are on a first name basis with most of our block in both directions...

Anyway, I'm annoyed that someone would complain to the city for no reason and not just say something to me first.
somad.gif

Rude neighbors!! Good thing they didn't move to redneck territory, they'd have been laughed at for complaining... So, did everything go okay with the building inspector? Maybe you should take your new neighbors some good ol Ky brownies
lau.gif
Mellow them out a bit.
lau.gif
Seriously though... Take them some fresh eggs and tell them they are much better and much healthier than the eggs that are 3 wks old before they hit the grocery shelves.

Back
Top Bottom