Kentucky people

Oy!! Just got back from Indy, that was a long trip!! Chuck is on his way home, after much begging and pleading on my part to stay.
I swapped/sold 12 quail, 5 mottled cochins, and 9 buttons. In return, I got some money (always nice
wink.png
), 2 partridge bantam cochin pullets, and a dozen BC Marans eggs from 92caddy!!!
ep.gif
I guess the one that traded me those for a pullet wanted her reeeeeeeeeaaaaal bad!! I'm so happy I could pee
big_smile.png
Well, maybe not that happy, but happy nonetheless. All in all, it was a good day. There weren't as many people there as I had thought there would be, or they were just scattered about a lot. But we got to meet a lot of new faces. I learned that Attack Chicken is a girl
roll.png
, and asylum (sp?) is a boy, that was interesting...always fun to meet people in person
big_smile.png
Miss jayne is just the sweetest person, and Shultz looks nothing like I had pictured her.

We had lots of fun, and Cris was pretty good, for a change. You guys really missed out
smile.png

Okay Mojo I am curious. Is a snood like what the Amish ladies wear on the back of their heads to hold their hair back?

If you have more than one snood are they snoods or snoodles?

If it were not so dark here I'd look the word up in my dictionary.

Moonflowers, in Louisville you are allowed 4 non-crowing birds and 1 crowing bird or 5 non crowers.

A snood is usually made of netting type material and are used to hold the long hair up neatly against the neck and head, the plural is snoods.

Quote:
Okay, darn, am I reading this wrong? I thought this said 5 non-crowing, one crowing. But it IS a legal document so I may be misunderstanding it.
"All crowing and non-crowing poultry must be kept on tracts or lots of at least .5 acres or more, unless a tract or lot is on less than .5 acres and only houses five or less non-crowing poultry, and no more than one crowing poultry in accordance with the remainder of this subsection. All crowing and non-crowing poultry shall be kept in a fence or structure of sufficient height and construction to prevent the animal(s) from leaving the owner’s property. The fence or structure must be in good repair. All gates or doors to the fence or structure shall fit properly and shall be locked or secured by a latch. Poultry associated with an agricultural use shall not be subject to the restraint requirement as set forth herein."

Quote:
Okay, darn, am I reading this wrong? I thought this said 5 non-crowing, one crowing. But it IS a legal document so I may be misunderstanding it.
"All crowing and non-crowing poultry must be kept on tracts or lots of at least .5 acres or more, unless a tract or lot is on less than .5 acres and only houses five or less non-crowing poultry, and no more than one crowing poultry in accordance with the remainder of this subsection. All crowing and non-crowing poultry shall be kept in a fence or structure of sufficient height and construction to prevent the animal(s) from leaving the owner’s property. The fence or structure must be in good repair. All gates or doors to the fence or structure shall fit properly and shall be locked or secured by a latch. Poultry associated with an agricultural use shall not be subject to the restraint requirement as set forth herein."

There ya go, put out a sign that says "Farm Fresh Eggs For Sale" and you'll be "agriculture"
lau.gif

Check out the laws on "Right to Farm" - I'm not sure how strict they are here, but in Michigan they are very much in favor of the "farmer" - maybe because all Michigan has left is poor folks who want to eat now and then.

Ok, found a link - ya might be caught because of the ---

(2) No agricultural or silvicultural operation or any of its appurtenances shall be or become a nuisance or trespass, private or public, or be in violation of any zoning ordinance, or be subject to any ordinance that would restrict the right of the operator of the agricultural or silvicultural operation to utilize normal and accepted practices, by any changed conditions in or about the locality thereof after the same has been in operation for more than one (1) year, when the operation was not a nuisance at the time the operation began. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply whenever a nuisance, trespass, or zoning violation results from the negligent operation of an agricultural or silvicultural operation or its appurtenances.

http://www.nationalaglawcenter.org/assets/righttofarm/kentucky.pdf

But, you can still follow the local ordinances and keep 5 chickens or so.

meri

Quote:

Nope you are reading it right, I stand corrected. They must have changed the ordinance when I wasn't looking! At least they increased the amount instead of decreasing it.! Thanks for the update, means I'm slightly less illegal.
lau.gif

Okay, good, I was making sure I had it right just in case it comes up at the meeting. But in rereading it I realized something... technically I am allowed 5 hens and 1 rooster for every plot of land that is less than .5 acres. We actually own 2 plots as we got the side lot next to our house and garage. So TECHNICALLY if we say built a small house for 3 of the chickens in our garage we are within legal limits and actually below them, lol. Laws are funny.

ETA: Kind of makes me want 2 more hens... lol.

Last edited:
It was so much fun at the chickenstock yesterday, that I was wondering if we wanted to do something like that down here?? We could maybe get a pavilion on the lake, and have a big shindig!! Idk if 'pets' are allowed by the lake though, I'd have to check on that. Maybe at a park?? I know the fairgrounds in Columbia has a park next to it, idk, it's an idea anyway.

What do you all think??

Back
Top Bottom