Kentucky people

so, this afternoon I let the buff orp and two EE roos out of the chicken run. Poor guys were eyeing the green-ness outside with lust in their hearts.

They are behaving very well, so far.

I have discovered that the columbian rocks are weird - very weird.
They seem to be afraid of everyone else, so they run around in a group (like guineas) and hide whenever another chicken comes near them. Maybe it's just they were in with Mr. Speckles and the big girls for so long, they are too shy to mingle. I hope they get over it. I know those light brahma hens aren't very polite when they think you're "beneath" them.

Hubby is washing dishes, I think he wants me to do some sort of housework, but I ain't doing a darn thing today. I'm just going to sit on my butt all day (like I have been doing) and I'll clean something tomorrow.
meri

Quote:
Thanks, but when do they wean? That's what I can't remember
smile.png

Mojo Chick'n :

No, Mr. Speckles needed another home - and he is with his girls who he's been with for so long. I am just upset because I need a reason for Mr. Feathers to die, ya know? I mean, I suppose it's a good death for him (if ya got to go, go in your sleep and make it a sudden thing) but for me, I'd like to know why.

Plus, I feel badly for Moonflowers and her hubby, because they have to lose him, also.

He was such a nice rooster too - naughty little boy sometimes (he would always try to steal my cigarette if I had one in my hand.) But so pretty and sweet tempered.

I have a lot of chickens, but some are more special than others I guess.

sad.png

meri

Meri, I am sad also that he died, but I know you gave him such a happy home while he lived and I am very grateful. He was a very fun little rooster and he still lives in my heart and my husband's. I hate that he died like that, I always liked to imagine him over there flirting with your girls and just being awesome but at least he got to do that when he was alive. Thank you for being a good caretaker to him, and for being sweet enough to worry about how my husband and I feel.​

Shelley, you remember those buff cochins I got from you? I think one of them is retarded.

She has chosen to move into the brooder coop, which is fine with me, but she doesn't ever want to go to the coop at night, she wanders around the yard.

That's not the retarded part, though.

If I try to get her to at least go over by the coop so she won't get stuck far away after it gets too dark for her to get back (I have to close the door after dark, cause the babies don't want to go in either) she will turn in circles in confusion. Not walk in circles, she turns in circles, like a dog chasing it's own tail. So I go over to her, to move her along, and she'll walk five feet and turn in circles again.

I think her body moves faster than her brain does
lau.gif

she needs an appropriate name... tornado, whirlwind, dingbat, something that really fits her.

meri

Quote:
Thanks, but when do they wean? That's what I can't remember
smile.png

It varies depending on the breed of rabbit. Large rabbits tend to wean between 6-8 weeks but dwarfs can take a little bit longer. I don't set a certain amount of days, just when I see they are really starting to chow down on the feed, thats usually when I seperate them.
smile.png

bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif

20087_rabbits_009.jpg

bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif

bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif

(couldn't help but show off one of the checkered babies...hehehe
big_smile.png
)

Last edited:
What a cutie!! I'm kind of wanting to get another mini rex, I miss mine
sad.png
They were so sweet. Idk though, my dad still has 1 bunny, and she is constantly sneezing, so I'm pretty sure she is sick. I wouldn't want to get one that would catch something from this one. Maybe I'll get a mini, and keep it with the guinea pigs
big_smile.png

Okay, rabbits are SO super cute! DH won't let me get any though unless we breed them to eat and I just don't have the heart so no little bunnies for me. Nice to see the cute pic though
smile.png

I feel like I am a neglectful chicken mommy now since I am back in school. My girls whine at me when I pull in the driveway from work and seem to wonder why I don't have time to let them get on my lap anymore when I have to go in and do lesson plans and grade papers. Poor neglected girls, they were spoiled this summer!

Well, went to check on the babies this morning, another fluff butt hatched out, that makes three so far. However no baby bunnies, they all died or the mother killed them and ate them. There were two left as of yesterday, Today, none in her hutch. Guess I have a doe that is a baby killer.

Quote:
probably why the guy sold her to ya.

would be nice if folks warned you about such things - some people just want the bunny without breeding her - she would have been fine for someone like that.

sorry your bunny is a killer
sad.png

meri

Back
Top Bottom