Kentucky people

Quote:
Not necessarily so, some plants like water irises, cattails, rushes, will grow out of the water. Watersprite which most people place in their aquariums will change it's shape once it grows out of the water. Water lilies, which need to be kept potted, will grow and float on the surface, water hyacinth and water lettuce are floating types with long roots that will help filter the water. Also the fish will use them to spawn in. As to fish you can put in White Cloud Mountain minnows, Paradise Gouramis, Guppies, and Swordtails. However some of them will have to be brought in for the winter, unless you put in a pond heater. But if you just want to keep goldfish in there they should be fine.

The plants will also provide shade and hiding places for the fish from predators such as herons or other wading type birds. You can make caves out of rocks or bricks for the fish to swim through and hide under as well.

Cool
thumbsup.gif

I can't wait, hopefully it doesn't turn into a big job!

On a side note, anyone want to come to a chickenstock again at my place? I was thinking of organizing another one this year, if you guys would be interested
smile.png

Quote:
Don't give up on her, a lot of times mine will set on the eggs at night, then be off the eggs the whole second day, then on the eggs the following night, at which point they stay. She will probably go back to it tonight, just leave her eggs there
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Yep, that looks about like them except that the sides are a bit narrower and there is a top to the nest. Today I found a more bossy white cornish on the nest all puffed out trying to cover all the eggs and not really succeeding too well with the other two taking up other positions on fresh eggs. well that doesn't work, so I took the fresh eggs and pushed one of the hens onto the nest with the white cornish. Squaking ensued and I left with the fresh eggs, I haven't gone back to see the results.

I am determined not to get fullbrooderitis this year. I had it bad last year and am still dealing with the over supply.
The last of my non breeding roos will be processed for memorial day. Then starts the egg eaters and non productive hens. Perhaps next year I will be able to brood some but if my three brooding hens become successful I may not need to fire it up.

Quote:
Told ya
wink.png

I went to check my quail pen, and the little broody has who knows how many eggs under her plus another 12-14 eggs that she has 'collected' surrounding her....little stinker
gig.gif

Quote:
Told ya
wink.png

I went to check my quail pen, and the little broody has who knows how many eggs under her plus another 12-14 eggs that she has 'collected' surrounding her....little stinker
gig.gif

haha that is so cute... You have to show a pic here!!!

Didn't I?? Let me find it over in the quail forum
big_smile.png

Here she is, I didn't think to get a pic of her with her 'collection', if I don't get her penned in there seperate from the others tomorrow, I"m sure she'll have a good collection again, I'll get pics then
lol.png

Duh, helps if I add the pics, huh?
roll.png

broodycoturnixandpen004.jpg

broodycoturnixandpen005.jpg

Last edited:
Kind of, it's a coturnix growl, but she is growling. She was all alone in that side of the pen when we got home from Sano, I'm thinking she has the others a bit disturbed by her behavior
lol.png
Hopefully it won't spead throughout the pen, quail chicks sell good enough, but eggs sell even better
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom