Kentucky people

Quote:
This is not counting the bator eggs, one bator has 7 pheasant, 21 guineas, and 81 coturnix eggs, the other has 16 ameraucanas, 12 from our birds (taken from one broody's nest), 20 more quail, 7 turkeys, 6 more guineas, and 6 ducks..
th.gif
I think that's all of them
lol.png

Speaking of eggs... Have I told you I am supposed to try to get 3 more pullets or hens from you for Leighton when I get the Guineas? Don't know how but hawks keeps geting his... At least thats what they think because there are no feathers, the bird just disappears.

Yes, I believe you did. I have 2 hens for sure, not sure how old they are, they are ones that we found. I believe they were dropped off by the guy that our across the road neighbor gave his to, which in that case would make them about 1 year old. But they are very sweet, I don't know if I'd want to sell him birds if he's going to just feed them to the hawks
hmm.png

I'm not sure what else I have, most of the big hens are dad's, and I haven't been hatching (and keeping) chicks too much, except for ones that I want for myself.

Speaking of broody hens I have two hens who are broody and sitting on the same nest side by side. I guess my nest box is a bit too wide. But I guess there should be a better chance of something hatching.

Estpr13: do they look kinda like this? Except unfortunately these two aren't broody... They just wanted to lay their eggs together I guess.
ETA: this was taken yesterday
photo2-1.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, so at 11:00am this morning Boo and Liberty in the nest on the floor.
photo4-1.jpg

And now at 2:00pm Boo is still on the nest and attacking my hand along with everything else I try to reach in with. Got beat up placing these 4 eggs(dark brown was already there it's fake) in front of her for a broody test. If they're gone when I go back out then I can only assume she is broody. If she is she'll be a mean one so I'll have to figure out a way to put some screening around her so no more eggs are laid in the bin... Cause she won't let me near her to take any.
photo-1183.jpg

Shelley if Boo is broody you know what this means don't you?! You won't be getting her eggs this Spring. Late in the Summer maybe... I could try to run her off the nest if you want, but can't guarantee it will work this time because I tried to give her a gentle nudge with a long feather and she destroyed it and bit me too... Didn't budge though.

Hello everyone...
Sorry I have been away so long...We sold our house (we thought it would take longer) and have been in a frantic search to find another one.
We looked at some great homes but all of them had restrictions and I could not take the cochins with me. I wanted land and something convenient to work in Lexington but in the same school district for the girls. We finally came to terms on 3 acres just north of Richmond just south of exit 95!
Get this......it has a monster barn!
It is going to be chickens chickens and more chickens....
I hope to expand the flock and maybe even get some full size birds...I know.....I'm crazy! We are really pumped. We love the house and the land. Only problem is, it is about 150 yards off the interstate and I think it will be pretty noisy. I guess we will get used to it!
I am hatching out lots of Mille Fleur Cochin chicks and some other crosses I am experimenting with. (these could be really cool!)

When, and IF, I get everything moved, I will be looking for some more chickens......and geese.....and guineas.....and turkeys!!!!!!
My wife will kill me!
big_smile.png

Made a few updates to the webpage.......
http://home.rr.com/dday911

I sold alot of adults in preparation for the move....
Wish the chickens luck on their new home!

Last edited:
Quote:
That's all right, I've got a persistent case of fullbatoritis anyway. I can always get some from you later this fall, I'm sure I'll have some goofy bird wanting to sit when it's 30 degrees outside!
lau.gif

Besides, I have the BCM and I've got ameraucana eggs in the bator, so I should
fl.gif
be able to make my own olive eggers eventually
smile.png

On a side note, I have a broody coturnix....so much for them not being broody! She is so cute, it's raining now or I'd take a pic.
smile.png

Well I wish I could say Boo was a cute broody but she is far from it! Mean as a snake right now. Put the wire cage up and made it about 2-2 1/2 feet longer so she can have room for stretching, eating, and the broody poo. Might make it the full length of under the nestboxes in a week so she could use the corner bin for a dustbath. Now if I could just get some of those gold Sebright eggs(hint hint) lol...

So far the fish are still alive, we didn't kill them this time. I totally cleaned out the tank the day we met you at Walmart (cindy), so apparently that's worked. I am wanting to make a pond outside for them, so I can get some 'small' fish for the tank inside, any pointers? We have 2 shubunkins, 1 black moor, and 2 rosy reds
smile.png
They are all 1" or less, so are fine in the tank for now, but I'm sure that won't last long
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom