1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

kentucky specks?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pokey, Mar 8, 2009.

1. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    i was hoping more that maybe they might be a lost heritage breed than don't exist, that means someone selling eggs that might be falsly representing a breed....[​IMG]

2. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    I talked with the University of Kentucky Dept of ag today; they have done some historical research on this breed. Their findings are that there is no historical ducumentation of such a breed in the state archives. Apparently nobody knows where they came from or when they originated.

There is another thread on here about a member who bought some Kentucky Speck hatching eggs....only one hatched and it ended up being a silkie.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  3. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    [​IMG] that would make me so mad. i guess maybe we'll see because i think someone bought the first batch of eggs the seller had on eggbid. wish them luck......

4. sugarbush

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    I bet whoever is selling these eggs are counting on a zero hatch rate. I would be willing to pitch a little money in just to have somebody buy some and hatch them and see what they turn out to be...if they hatch at all.

5. chknbrdr

chknbrdr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2007
    Columbus, IN
    The Kentucky Specks I have hatch like popcorn, nearly every kernal pops!!

Last year during the flood I lost every one I had sll the adult breeders as well as all the started chicks. I had some eggs that were going on 3 weeks old that I was planning to pitch. I ended up setting them in a friend's incubator and hatched several. These chicks are my breeders for this year. I've found them to be very active, very fertile.

Matt

6. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    would still like to give someone the benefit of doubt...i have no idea of the breeder or birds til you hatch them out.

7. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:That is a bummer about the history of this breed seeming to be lost. Maybe it is one of those "Word of mouth" kind of things.

I am the person who had some KS eggs and hatched out a Silkie. The man I got them from just gave me 6 KS chicks because he felt bad about what happened. So it is all good. Worked out in the end.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. sugarbush

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    That is great. I am convinced that somewhere out there there must be some historical infomation on them. They did not just appear out of thin air without anybody writing something about them. A name like speck must have a history as well. What I do not understand is how people know what they are supposed to look like if nobody knows anything about them?

You would think there would be at least a breeders association or something.

I will keep looking.

I contacted the state dept of ag and the state poultry federation and they both refered me to Dr Pecatore at UK....

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  9. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    It is terrible to have such a cool looking bird with a lost history. I like to try and know as much as I can about the breeds I have and the KS just have me stumped on history and standard. [​IMG]

10. TubbyChicken

TubbyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    I saw a post on Craigslist about these birds (someone looking for them) and google search brought me here...Now I must have some! They're beautiful! Does anyone have experience with them? (What's their temperament like...are they broody...decent layers?!)

Since I live in Ky you'd think I might have an easier time finding a Kentucky Speck...it doesn't seem like I'll have an easy time finding one anywhere!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by